Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't tried timing them yet but it seems like I'm getting Braxton Hix A LOT. Like every few minutes. I know they are braxton hix because at my last appointment my midwife mentioned I was having them and this is exactly what they felt like during the one I had when she was feeling for the baby's position. Last night I was having them so often and right in the middle I would feel a big cramp in my cervix like the baby was headbutting it. They cover the whole belly but don't hurt at all. Just make me aware that my belly is contracting.

Is this normal? Could it mean something would be happening (like within a week and a half)? I've tried drinking more and stuff. Like I said, I'm not uncomfortable just hopeful that it means something.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
I have personally been getting them LOTS over the last month and a half. They don't mean labor is close or far away... some women never notice them, some women have them months and months before the big day. The good thing about them is when they start getting more painful, you can practice breathing through them and positioning.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I had them throughout my last trimester. They often came 3 mins apart, and lasted several hours. My midwife asked me to get into a bath and then lay down to stop them. I would also take 2000+ mg of calcium/magnesium, to stop them. Of course, if you're nearing your due date, no need. Even with all the contractions Juels was born one week, 2 days past her EDD. However, by that time my uterus was so in shape labor took off FAST. I didn't realize I was "really" in labor till my water broke, at which point I instantly had very intense contractions for 2 hours, pushed for one hour, and she was born!
I, too, took advantage and used them for practice. Some of them were a wee bit painful (like menstrual cramps), but felt nothing like labor contractions.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
you are only supposed to get them once an hour. but life isnt always what its suppposed to be. In my childbirth class last time around they said if you get them more than normal to eat and drink something and relax with your feet up. It is just a way for your body to tell you to take it easy. I hav them alot more this time, I think b/c I have trouble drinking enough during the day, and that advice works for me - they go away every time.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I too had them almost constantly towards the end of my pregnancy. I felt them gradually strengthen, become more intense, and slowly turn into labor contractions. I just practiced breathing through them, rested when I felt the need, and generally just went on w/life. If they are not painful, do not worry. It is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
The closer I get to my EDD I usually do B/H that increase in intensity and get close together and have patterns. Books don't seem to talk about that possibility! I think it's just the way my body prepares for labor. It can be PRETTY confusing trying to tell when I'm in actual labor. But, eventually, I'm in labor and there's no doubt!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*max*~
I too had them almost constantly towards the end of my pregnancy. I felt them gradually strengthen, become more intense, and slowly turn into labor contractions. I just practiced breathing through them
me too! it's good practice, really! experiment with how breathing, closing your eyes, keeping them open (whatever really) affects you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.