Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a recipie for bread that is fluffy. My bread always comes out so dense. I don't need it to be like store bought bread but normally it comes out pretty hard and heavy. I eat it, but DH won't. He always tries it, but never eats much of it. How can I get it lighter? I do want it to be at least half whole wheat. Spam me with recipies or ideas please!!!

Also, anyone know of a really good bread cookbook. My parents gave me theirs that they love but I find the recipies from it don't turn out quite right. Thanks

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
i am by no means a big bread maker- but can you le it rise longer- with the air conditioning going mine takes longer....

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
If you have the N.T. cookbook, the reciped for yogurt bread is pretty light- if i recall correctly. it takes some time though as you let it sit overnight.

I use the 'Tassajara bread book' -Brown.

I'm not sure about getting it lighter, it's all such a funny science, but it seems that the more i stir it when making the 'sponge'-before adding all the additional flour, it seems a bit lighter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Three words: vital wheat gluten

It will add stretchiness to the dough, which allows the yeast to make more/bigger bubbles.... lighter happier whole wheat bread!

The directions on my box say to add 1 Tbsp per 1 cup flour (either whole grain or white) for any recipe with 50% or more whole grain flour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts