Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been baking up a storm with my new bread maker, but I'm getting really frustrated. About every fourth loaf turns out PERFECTLY! The rest all end up small, and I don't know why, I don't change the recipe! I even use a thermometer to measure the temp on the water EVERY time, just to be sure. I've added an extra 1/2 tsp of yeast and it doesn't seem to matter.

Can I get some words of enlightenment from those with more experience?
:

·
Registered
512 Posts
What yeast are you using? Do you proof it first? Are the flours cooler during the times when rising doesn't work? Are you accurately measuring every time? This is vital to a good loaf. Are they not rising or are they falling?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the flour is usually the same temp... I haven't moved it, and it's the same bag.
I am measuring carefully. The yeast has been all from the same package, but I don't proof it (the instructions read to add it dry to the top of the flour).
The loaves are rising, just not enough. They vary from half the size and up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope, the lid fits fine.

I made a loaf yesterday, and it was great! I put the yeast in with the water and honey, instead of last, as per the instructions. I don't use the delay bake feature, so I don't think it matters really what order I layer the ingredients. I think the extra minutes of activation really helped. I also knifed the top of the measuring cups of flour(I usually just shake to level), and noticed I might have added and extra TBSP or so of flour - I wouldn't think enough to make such a big difference in the final loaf, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I find that my breads rise much better out of the machine. I let the machine knead the dough and then I plop it into a well greased, large bowl. I turn it a few times to coat it with whatever fat I'e greased with and then cover with a hot, wet towel. I let it rise for several hours. Then I punch it down, divide in 2, shape in loaves and let it rise in the loaf pans til it's the right size. I don't watch the clock, I watch the dough. Sometimes it rises faster than others. The machines don't take this into account.
HTH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.