Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else break their tailbone while giving birth? My doula said she had her hand on me and felt it, though my doctor didn't notice it. I've certainly been aware of it. The thing is, I heard it could take up to a year for a broken tailbone to heal, but I still have terrible pain when I stand up and sit down even though it'll be a year next weekend. Could it have healed crooked or something? Will I break it again next time I give birth or does it depend on the position of the baby? DS was posterior (I think that's the correct term) - I had terrible back labor.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Mine broke with my fifth, posterior 9 1/2 pound baby. It took about a year of chiropractic to really feel okay, and even now, nine years later, sitting for extended periods of time makes it hurt.
I had 2 more babies, including one more posterior, and it didn't ever break again

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine broke with my 10 lb posterior baby. I couldn't sit upright for a number of months, but it definitely felt fine by the one-year mark. I'm pregnant again and will head to the chiropractor at the first sign of trouble! The tailbone pain was worse than the contractions during labor, so I'm very concerned about another injury. And I'm going to do everything I can to prevent another posterior baby!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My pelivs was dislocated and also took about a year to heal, with chiroparactic care. Unfortunately it still bothers me some days.

Have you tried chiropractic care? At first, i was seeing a physical therepist who, after two weeks, said she couldn't do anything for me and that i should consider a hip replacement??!! A friend urged me to see her chiropractor and in no time i was moving around again!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I don't know if I broke mine but I definitly bruised it with my 2nd. I had a small baby 6lbs 11oz at exactly 40weeks. The placenta was right up against my tailbone, I had bad back labour because of it and it didn't go away until the placenta was born. It took a few weeks before I could sit without it hurting which is why I think I just bruised it and it didn't break.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sprained mine - don't know if it was during birth (delivered on hands and knees, had no counter-pressure on tailbone), or if it was that afternoon after birthing when I sat up and put my weight on the tailbone. In any case, I couldn't sit upright at all for about 2 months, and the pain continued for about a year. I had fantastic chiropractic care for it. Sometimes it is still a bit achy if I sit on it at a certain angle.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No one's ever been able to answer this for me. I think I bruised mine. I gave birth standing and have had trouble sitting since the birth. 10 months later I'm still pretty uncomfortable. Haven't tried chiropracic, but my physiotherapist suggested butt squeezes and I do notice that squeezing one side hurts more than the other. It has gotten better, but not 100% yet. What does the chiropractor do to help this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts