Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060727/...ZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

Quote:
"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one person wrote. "I immediately turned the magazine face down," wrote another. "Gross," said a third.
ADVERTISEMENT

These readers weren't complaining about a sexually explicit cover, but rather one of a baby nursing, on a wholesome parenting magazine - yet another sign that Americans are squeamish over the sight of a nursing breast, even as breast-feeding itself gains more support from the government and medical community.

Quote:
One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast - it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."
There is something wrong with that woman!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is my favorite

"I'm totally supportive of it - I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see." from the above article
:

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you posted first, even though the time mark is the same because I had to scroll down to see yours.
I was thinking.. what is this chick "wowing" about? Must be interesting!
I like the Msn article better because people can see the cover is not some playboy wannabe momma... YKWIM!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Oh, my! You can't see anything! No nipple, no woman...just a baby latched on. The breast is so airbrushed that it could be an elbow for all one knew (seriously, my son latched onto hubby's arm once). Big deal, I don't get all the screaming over it. I have seen provocative pics IN that mag before when dealing with bedroom issues...so if someone is worried about what a hubby or son might accidentally see, then they shouldn't get the mag anyhow and should be raising fits over those pics first...not this one.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
EEEEWWW Not a "boobie"..... I'm so afraid of seeing one that I never EVER get naked unless it's dark.

And I have a blindfold on.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I think we should all e-mail applauding the cover.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
Cultural conditioning in an oversexed society.
Exactly!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Kelly81 wrote:

Quote:
This is my favorite

"I'm totally supportive of it - I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see." from the above article
I saw that, too, and my first thought was, 'so you'd be okay with your husband or son intentionally seeing a breast that they DO want to see?' As if those men/boys whatever would be victims as a result of accidentally seeing a breast they didn't want to see! Cracks me up!

Reminds me of my favorite retort: Don't wanna see breastfeeding in public? Look away.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
"'Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob,' wrote Lauren, a mother of a 4-month-old."
it's so sad that anyone would think a nursing baby is "gross," but especially a mother of a young baby.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Unbelievable. I just sent an email to Babytalk to thank them for the cover.

I am just flabbergasted that a baby nursing provokes outrage. I have had to talk with the manager of our local CVS and HEB (drug and grocery store chains in Texas) about "detective" magazines with teenage girls in bikinis or lingerie on their knees with a man standing behind with a knife by threatening their throats on the cover. (all of those mags have the same sick covers) The managers told me that nobody else complained.

But a picture of a baby nursing makes people flip? Ugh. OK, I guess we have a lot more work to do than I realized.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by inezyv
Unbelievable. I just sent an email to Babytalk to thank them for the cover.

I am just flabbergasted that a baby nursing provokes outrage. I have had to talk with the manager of our local CVS and HEB (drug and grocery store chains in Texas) about "detective" magazines with teenage girls in bikinis or lingerie on their knees with a man standing behind with a knife by threatening their throats on the cover. (all of those mags have the same sick covers) The managers told me that nobody else complained.

But a picture of a baby nursing makes people flip? Ugh. OK, I guess we have a lot more work to do than I realized.
Ughh... that is so gross and scary... I'd have to stick around that store and make tabs on everyone who bought those mags that freaks me out

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Quote:
"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," wrote Lauren, a mother of a 4-month-old.
this one is the most disgusting

1 - 20 of 28 Posts