Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six-week-old seems to be going through his first growth spurt. Nursing all day, stopping pretty much only to have his diaper changed. As soon as that's over with, he's ready to go again. We've been lucky to have next to no bf-ing problems so far. I think I headed off an infection about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just concerned because my breasts feel, simply, overtaxed. There are no nipple cracks (at least not serious ones), and I use Lansinoh every day, try to air out, stand under the hot jets in the shower, etc. But by last night, when each side felt completely empty and drained and was basically *tired*, I felt like I was "done," if you know what I mean.<br><br>
My breasts feel a little itchy - I can't quite say if this is the skin that feels itchy or underneath the skin somehow. I mean, it's not the skin, which actually looks fine. But I remember that I had this same itch-like feeling at the start of the infection or what was going to be an infection. What does it mean? And what can I do that I'm not already doing? It's a little maddening, the itchiness.<br><br>
Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If you think you are headed toward an infection the best prevention and cure is rest. Especially laying down or having a few hours in the after noon with your feet up.<br><br>
That said I have only gotten mastitis from slowing down nursing (like we went on a long car ride and no one nursed as much), not from nursing all the time.<br><br>
I would be inclined to think upping your fluid intake and making sure nothing you are wearing is pressing on your breasts (bras, diaper bags, baby carriers) would be the best prevention.<br><br>
And the ichyness makes me think thrush. There are many posts here about it, just do a search. (in fact I believe Lasinoh can contribute to it)

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Yes, if you suspect thrush, it is recced use olive oil on sore nipples instead of Lansinoh.<br><br>
I get what you are saying about being "nursed out" on frequency days. Esp my ds, he was so vigorous. I would sometimes cheat and give him a finger to suck for a 15 min break and end up the day with two tired breasts and two pruny fingers!<br><br>
Maybe a good way to head off thrush would be to just start taking probiotics daily? They are so good for you anyway.<br><br>
thrush link:<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html</a>

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flip side of the constant nursing - and minimal sleeping, which is how it seems to work with the boy - is that he will finally pass in exhaustion after an entire day of no naps and then sleep maybe 4, maybe 5, maybe even 5.5 hours. This happened two days ago and just last night, too. So I go to sleep with two very drained breasts and wake up with two very full ones. Maybe this is linked to the thrush- or mastitis-like symptoms. I really hope that's not what it is, though.<br><br>
Thanks so much for your fast replies. The kellymom page is great and I will be checking that out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my advice is, find out if its thrush right away! It can be sooo hard to get rid of. The most apparent signs of thrush are ofcourse the white patches in babys mouth, diaper rash or any reddness in diaper area, red nipples, little tiny bumps on or around nipples, it can cause pretty severe pain while nursing, nipple pain and itchiness as well as shooting like pain inside the breast (caused from yeast clogging milk ducts) and ofcourse if you feel an actual yeast infection coming on. if it is thrush, your in for a long haul (at least it was for me and my dd) Treat babys mouth with acidophillus powder or there is a primadophilus powder made specificly for children, I found this was easiest to give mixed with a little breastmilk in a bottle or with a spoon, and treat yourself as well,orally. steralize all babys things, especialy if you use cloth diapers. You can mix 1tsp baking soda with 1 cup water and swab inside of babys mouth after every feeding and treat your nipples with 1tblsp braggs viniger mixed with 1 cup water. wouldnt hurt to drink some viniger as well, also stay away from foods with alot of yeast. If these things dont seem to be helping, the next step is to use gentian violet, which you can find in most pharmacies, be careful it does stain. treat babys mouth 3-4 x/dailyand your nipples after feeding. Also use cotton nursing pads, change them frequently. after all synptoms dissapear continue treatment for at least two weeks or it will come back. I know this seems like a lot, but thrush isnt something to take lightly, it can get really painful for both mom and baby. I hope this helps some, I know how that feels and if it is infact thrush, once you start treatment symptoms usually only last a few days. best of luck to you and your little one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts