Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

My husband and I adopted a baby girl born at the end of January. Unfortunately, I have not been able to induce lacation. During our 15 month wait to adopt, I spent 12 months trying to induce with the help and support of a lacation consultant, Jack Newman and Lenore Goldfarb. Not being able to breastfeed my daughter was very heartbreaking, but not as much as watching her struggle with formula.

She refused to eat the formula the hospital offered her; luckliy we had a doctor who believed in us taking her home and switching her to Earth's Best Organic formula. She immedately began to eat and thrive. But soon, she started to have stomach issues and was not our 'happy' little girl.

We would like to find a breastmilk donor(s) so that we can add a few ounces of breast milk with her formula each feeding. There is nothing better than breast milk and we consider it 'liquid gold'. We live in the Hood River, OR area and travel to Portland/Vancouver every couple of weeks, but are not limited to driving to only those locations.

We live a very organic and holistic lifestyle and would like to find same in a donor, but are open to any donors that would be willing to contact us. Our email is [email protected] (due to spam filter, please put a subject on your email), we will gladly call anyone that contacts us to discuss our situation further.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We live in the Hood River OR area. Sorry for my delayed response, my daughter had a real bad reaction yesterday to her formula. I have posted a request on Milkshare and also a smaller PDX group. I am very grateful for the person I have been able to hook up with through Milkshare, but I am hoping I can find another donor (or two) since my daughter is having such a hard time.

Thanks for asking -

Lynden

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Oh Lynden, I wish I could help you out. I actually am the doula for the person you were getting milk from! I thought it may be you when you originally posted
. GOod luck and I will keep this bumped up for you

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I might be able to help a little. My son is 3 months old... I could probably get you at least a couple of ounces a day right now, and maybe more if my supply builds up. We're in Vancouver, sounds like that would work on your milk pick-up route

Our daughter had colic, I know how awful it is to watch a little one struggle with their tummy...

One question though - is it possible your lovely girl is dairy sensitive? (That might be part of her formula issues). We consume lots of dairy, so if that is part of what she is struggling with, my milk might not be what you need...

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Its a good idea to go through your local La Leche League.

I'm sure you are legit but some might feel skeptical of a random request of a new member in a forum requesting breastmilk.

If you go through LLL then they can contact anyone they know that is willing to donate and other groups as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Its a good idea to go through your local La Leche League.

I'm sure you are legit but some might feel skeptical of a random request of a new member in a forum requesting breastmilk.

If you go through LLL then they can contact anyone they know that is willing to donate and other groups as well.
actually, i have to correct this. LLL can NOT get officially involved in casual milk sharing. you might be able to connect unofficially with other mothers after meetings, but LLL leaders, for liability reasons, cannot negotiate milk sharing/donations.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
actually, i have to correct this. LLL can NOT get officially involved in casual milk sharing. you might be able to connect unofficially with other mothers after meetings, but LLL leaders, for liability reasons, cannot negotiate milk sharing/donations.
Yes, you are right. The leaders might know people that would be interested in donating. There is a fine line. They'd have to say something like: LLL doesn't officially condone milk sharing however you might check with Amy/Jan/Sara for more information, here is her number.

I think its great that you are getting donated milk for your little one. I've nursed 3 babies besides my own and donated milk too.

I have no idea what my supply is like now that ds is almost two but I don't get that early engorgement like I used to at the beginning.
I did actually try donating to a milk bank but because I have a piercing they wouldn't take my milk

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I just met Lynden and her sweet baby - definitely legit
. Any other mamas out there with some milk to share, you'll be helping to grow an adorable little girl (you should see her cheeks!!!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.