Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I usually just lurk here
: but now I'm looking for some experience from the "been there done that" moms.

My son (just turned 2) pretty much self weened about 6 weeks ago. I'd been working on a slow gradual weening process since I found out I was pregnant in January because I didn't want it to be hard on him when my milk dried up and tandum nursing didn't really appeal to me. But in the last two weeks or so he has become breast obsessed. He's started to ask to see my breasts all the time, he tries to stick his hands down my shirt (a little embarassing in public) and most surprising he's begun to ask to nurse again. I'm a little confused about this new obsession, I mean why now? Why so long after he chose to stop nursing? (I always thought a month was a long time for a toddler)

I'm getting the feeling that it's really starting to sink in for my son that another baby's coming and it seems like he's just staking a claim on his territory. Is that possible? He's only 2, and getting a new sibling seems like such a complicated concept to get. Has anyone else experienced this with their children when they were pregnant? Was there anything that you did to help ease your toddler's anxiety?

So it's beginning to look like I'll be tandum nursing after all. I know that if my son asks to nurse after the baby arrives I am not going to deny him. I don't want to fan the flames of sibling rivalry by breast feeding one but not the other.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, mirthfulmum. How was Birthday Weekend?

My son slef-weaned at 10 1/2 months. At about 2 1/2 years, he started pulling up my shirt, poking my nipples and telling me he wanted to nurse. I would just say, "yes, that's mummy's breast" and tell him it made milk for feeding the coming baby. Since he was all about being a little boy, or sometimes a big boy, but never a baby, he lost interest faily quickly (I would say after about a month). I didn't want to tandem nurse, and I really didn't want to reeducate a toothy, active 3 year old about nursing, so I was pretty relieved.

A coworker weaned her son a week before his first birthday (which annoyed me, because I like tidy numbers. So inconsiderate to not give him that last week for my sake
). A few months later, they were in the bathtub when he all of the sudden remembered what breasts are for, and made a grabby lunge.

I think most kids have some interest in breasts, especially breastfed kids who might remember how comforting they were. (I know quite a few adults who find them fascinating, too
.)

Have you tried distracting Alias before nursing? For me, it was pretty easy. We would talk about them and he would touch them, but my milk was loooong gone, so I just said my breasts were empty and he didn't try to nurse. If he's easily distracted or only half-heartedly nursing, he may lose interest before October.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I don't have much advice, but wanted to say that DD has recently begun shoving her hands down my shirt and grabbing at my breasts when we are in public and I'm carrying her, lol! I have to be on the lookout these days!

·
Registered
504 Posts
My DS just weaned himself last month. Last week we were getting ready for bed and when I changed shirts he asked for his booboo. I was surprised and told him that there's no milk left (truthful!), it's all gone, and that we had a good time with booboos, didn't we? He kinda pouted and repeated his request so I asked if he'd like to try but reiterated there was no milk. He latched right on like he'd never stopped, sucked for about three seconds, popped off and announced, "Milk all gone!"

I don't know if this is an option for you where you're pg and might have colustrum that DS might like but just giving my son the opportunity to try was enough to curb his desire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.