Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any mamas here have gone through this surgury and may have advice for me.

I've always had large breasts, and I've been lopsided since puberty. When I was nursing an infant/toddler (or two), I was able to nurse more on the left side to even myself out temporarily. Widh ds nursing only twice a day, that's no longer working! I also have constant neck, shoulder, and arm pain that I'm sure is partly due to the weight of my breasts. A good bra doesn't even help- it just puts less weight on the lower portion of my chest, and puts the full weight on the upper portion of my chest, and hurts just as much but in a different spot. Nobody seems to make longline bras in my size either.

Here's the deal: I'm currently wearing a 38I, but it's a bit snug on the right and a bit loose on the left- so that would make me about an H cup on the left and about a J cup on the right.

Would it be possible to have only the right side reduced without weaning from the left? Or would the incisions on the right side inhibit nursing on the left? I was thinking of possibly having the right side reduced to about an F- making me just as lopsided as I am now but in the other direction, and then having the left side reduced to an F after weaning.

Do you think I'd be better off waiting and doing both sides at once?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I'd wait. After you're done nursing the side that did not have the reducion may end up being a D and then you'd be lopsided again. Plus it's major surgery, not something you'd want to go through twice. I was supposed to have mine done this year but it's postponed indefinitly between my kids schedules and my moms(who was supposed to have a hysterectomy this year but I don't know what happened with that). I decided that with my youngest(3) being so needy still and wanting to be held/carried that it'd be best to wait until she's in school full time so I can rest during the day while they kids are all gone.

Most surgeons won't do the surgery until you're done having kids because of the breastfeeding issues it can cause.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
My SIL had a breast reduction and I was there every step of the way. She was just so large chested it seemed so out of proportion with the rest of her body and she got terrible back aches. She had both breasts done. She had the surgery in the morning it took a few hours if I recall and she stayed one night. They let her out the next day but because the hospital was a ways away we stayed in a hotel near the hospital for one more night, in case anything were to happen. They wrapped her up good and she drained for a couple of days. It bothered her to lift things and raise her arms but that was about it. I would talk to your Dr. about any concerns you have as far as nursing. SIL just had her first baby a month ago, she tried BF but there wasn't a guarantee. I think she only got one side to work and then it stopped, she only got a couple of drops. The good news is her back stopped hurting and she noticed a major difference in the day to day activities.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
IMO wait until you're done nursing and then do it. I was a J cup and had my breasts reduced to a large C in 1999. I don't regret it at all but it did make nursing very hard. I didn't have a full supply and had to use a Lact-aid for 16 months (to Starr - anyone can nurse after reduction surgery, they just need to use a supplementer) but it was still worth it to me. People can't envision a J cup and trust me, I know, its huge! I had post-surgical infection and a long recovery and lots of scars and I certainly wouldn't go through it just to get reduced to an F. If you are going to do it you might as well go to a size that will make you feel more normal! I still marvel that I am able to wear button up shirts. Oh in regards to pregnancy and nursing changing the sizes in case anyone is planning more kids after a breast reduction, I went from a large C to a DD in my first pregnancy. I didn't nurse him at all (not related to the surgery) and went right back down to a C. With my daughter I again went to a DD and stayed larger through a lot of nursing. I think I went back down to a D at around 18 months and down to a C by 2-2.5. Of course then I went and got pregnant again so now I am a D (didn't go as large this time, maybe because I am still nursing). Anyways that's my opinion.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think my left breast will go down to a D cup on its own- I was a 34DDD before getting pg the first time. I really can't imagine going any smaller than an E or an F- with my bone structure, I think anything smaller than that would just look stupid, and keep in mind that going down to an F cup is already going down 4 cup sizes!

I'm wondering if I should invest the money into a custom made corset- that's about the only thing I can imagine would support my breasts and take the weight off my shoulders. Does anybody know if there's some way to get insurance to pay for it? I know they'd pay for the surgury.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
could you inquire about a custom made bra, perhaps from a company who specializes in bras for women recovering from lumpectomies or mastectomies? and as for insurance covering it, could you get a physician to write up that your back pain is being caused by your heavy and large chest, and that proper support could eliminate the need for surgery thereby reducing the insurance company's cost? it's worth trying...

~claudia

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I will say that I wouldn't want to go through the surgery again if I had a choice. I guess I would if I were having the smae problems, but lets hope it never happens. Also, it is best not to lift things or have to move your arms very much afterwards.
That said, I had mine done in 99 also. I was a 32 DDD? I don't know it still didn't fit me, but I couldn't find anything larger that was still a 32. I was 20. I hadn't had any kids yet. I knew there was a risk of not being able to breatfeed, but my doc told me 50%. Afterwards was hard and all I had was a 50 lb dog and a cat. But it wasn't hard for long, mostly it was just because the dog pulled on his lead and it didn't feel great.
But I was able to fully breastfeed. Someone told me that a lot has to do with one how long it was between the surgery and when you start to breastfeed. Mine was about 3 years. And the other is if you had your nipple completely removed. They moved mine, cut around, but kept everything behind attached. The reason why so long from surgery to breastfeeding is because I guess everything has a chance to reconnect. But I was lucky in that I didn't have to supplement and that my oldest nursed until she was 3 1/2. She tandemed with my youngest for about a year, and again, even with my oldest nursing more thana newborn in those first few months, I didn't have to supplement. I went down to about a big B to a small C after surgery and am about a C/D right now. Very curious as to what is going to happen after nursing.
I would call around to speciallty bra stores, sometimes even department stores, to see if they have anything that might help. I knkow that is where I got my minimizers. They did help my back a little. If not it wouldnt' hur to ask your doc about a back support/brace. You are lucky that your insurance will pay for surgery. They wouldn't for mine. I guess a 5'3" 100 lb woman with breasts that big isn't that bad. I had documented problems since I was 15.
But I wish you luck and if you have any other questions about the surgery itself I can try to answer them.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Ive had a breast reduction and Id be happy to tell you all about it. Ill tell you all the stuff your surgeon probably wont tell you- I know mine didnt she made it seem like it would be a breeze. First of all I doubt many surgeons would perform the surgery one breast at a time. They would just tell you to wait. Each time you have surgery you open yourself up to other risks, especially infection.

Info on insurance companies and reduction (ignore if this doesnt apply to you)
Were you going to try to get your health insurance to pay for it? I got mine to, but it was a long struggle (it took them about 6 months to approve it) If you happen to already be overweight they are much less likely to cover it and will tell you to lose weight first because they will say that is what is causing your back pain. If you arent overweight or tell them losing weight wont help they will usually have you see at least 1 or 2 doctors (generally orthopedists) to get their opinion. I got lucky and got the orthopedist to just do what I say and recommend the reduction. Finally they approved the surgery.

Most plastic surgeons will only let you go down 1-2 cup sizes because removing too much can be a risk. They removed 5 lbs from mine which is considered a lot. During my surgery they did the typical anchor cut-around the nipple, down the front and under the breast. Another thing they do is liposuction that area where your arm meets your chest, but that is only considered cosmetic so insurance wont cover that part but if you dont get that done Ive heard it looks funny.

It takes about 2 weeks after the surgery to feel normal. The pain is tremendous even with all the narcotics they send you home with. Of youve ever had surgery youll know what Im talking about- Its that deep soreness. I lived in a lazyboy chair because thats the only position I felt comfortable in. Also you'll have 2 drains that you have to empty pretty frequently the first few days (tubes connected to bulbs that fill with blood) Dh and I were only just dating at the time but I dont think I couldve survived the surgery without him. I needed help to do any little thing. You'll have to go back to the doctor a few times to have your bandages and stitches removed. Right after the surgery you're breast will look like you just got implants. Mine were really perky and rock solid for a while but eventually they went back to normal.
If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Info on insurance companies and reduction (ignore if this doesnt apply to you)
Were you going to try to get your health insurance to pay for it? I got mine to, but it was a long struggle (it took them about 6 months to approve it) If you happen to already be overweight they are much less likely to cover it and will tell you to lose weight first because they will say that is what is causing your back pain. If you arent overweight or tell them losing weight wont help they will usually have you see at least 1 or 2 doctors (generally orthopedists) to get their opinion. I got lucky and got the orthopedist to just do what I say and recommend the reduction. Finally they approved the surgery.
That is good to know. My insurance doesnt say they cover breast reduction but I do know a few years ago a man my husband works with got the insurance to cover his SO breast reduction. After this baby and after I am done nursing I am hoping to get a reduction, I have had awful back, neck, and shoulder pain for years
Hopefully insurance will cover it, if not I will have to save up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.