Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice to give to a friend.

She had problems BF'ing her son 2 years ago despite talking to 7 LC's, taking drugs to help with supply, and constantly pumped to increase production. Nothing worked, she was very depressed and ended up having to give her son a bottle.

With her daughter she was determined to BF but again wasn't able to. HDD (Her DD) has reflux and seemed to constantly want more than MF was able to provide. Round the clock crying, labeled colicky by the ped, medicated for reflux - the list goes on. My Friend (MF) ended up having to give a bottle again and HDD was finally satisfied - with EBF she was crying/rooting every hour, would suck for 10 minutes, fall asleep and wake up screaming for the boob an hour later. MF was constantly BF every hour, day and night, and also had a toddler to care for.

MF was convinced it was a supply issue and took fenugreek but that wasn't enough to help. So she gave up and her supply dried up.

I introduced her to Motherlove More Milk Plus and she's starting produce milk again (yayy!). But here's the problem: when she tried to BF, HDD cried and didn't want any part of it!

I didn't know what to tell her! I thought most kids would like milk from the tap so I was stumped!

Any advice??

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
nak
first how old is her DD and how long scince she BF DD - These are important to know.
I would think that she probly had lots of milk for DD the problem was the reflux. Some reflux babies ALWAYS want to nurse because it souths there throuts. the key to solving that is to treat the reflux. By the sounds of it the meds whern't working right if she continues with the every hour feeding and was gaining well.
If she wants to BF again then I would ask her to talk to her doctors and make sure the reflux in under control because eating in a typical baby laying down position can agrivate reflux (havung had to nurse 3 reflux babies in an upright position)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts