Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is quite the chub and people are starting to comment that he's "soooo fat"- he is 3 months old and exclusively BF on demand. He weighed 16 lbs 4 oz at his 2 month check up so by now he has to be 18-19 by the looks of him and how hard he is to pick up. He is also very tall (in the 99% for height).

I'm thinking that BF babies grow uniquely according to what their body needs to do as long as they are fed on demand. He comfort eats some too and I have a very abundant milk supply but would that be causing him to be bigger than he is "supposed" to be?

I have just never seen a really huge BF baby and am wondering if this is normal?

thanks

· Registered
90 Posts
lol well if that is fat then i have gargantuan babies
Simon was 14lbs 4oz at a month, and is probably right around 18now (at 2m). Liam my oldest was 29lbs at 6m-- exclusively breastfed, and it looks like Simon is followin in his footsteps
My ped loves that i have big babies-- they are both extremely healthy kids, and although my oldest is a very large child, he isnt overweight. (Just the size of a 6yr old, lol)
heather

· Registered
3,335 Posts
DD was the same way, slimmed down fine now and would not worry! NAK.

See my avatar lol!

Added her stats!

BW 7 lbs 15 oz 21.5 in

1 Mo. 11 lbs. 23 in. 0 cm

2 Mos. 13 lbs. 24.5 in. 0 cm

3 Mos. 16 lbs. 27 in. 0 cm

4 Mos. 20 lbs. 28 in. 0 cm

5 Mos. 22 lbs. 28 in. 0 cm

6 Mos. 24 lbs. 28.5 in. 0 cm

9 Mos. 27 lbs. 30 in. 0 cm

10 Mos. 25 lbs. 30.5in. 0 cm

12 Mos. 24 lbs 31 in.

16 Mos. 25 lbs 33 in.

· Registered
612 Posts
He sounds fine! My guy is 4.5 months and is 18# and 26"...exclusively BF (besides the little cereal my DH gave him the other day). We have healthy babies! My FIL keeps telling me to not feed him every time he's hungry...grrrrrrrrr

· Registered
825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the2amigos
My FIL keeps telling me to not feed him every time he's hungry...grrrrrrrrr
How can that make sense to anyone? I would of told him he needs to stop eating every time he is hungry then cuz he might get fat....

· Registered
6,183 Posts
hmmm... personally I don't think so but my cousin nursed all her kids. Her last baby was 40lbs at 5.5 months... something crazy like that. The docs said her BM was too high in fat content and made her wean. Then they had to have the baby on a strict diet to get her weight to stabalize. I guess they said she was obese?

So yeah, I would be worried if your DC was like 40lbs or so :LOL Both of my kids were over 15lbs at 6 weeks... they will all be the same when they are 3

· Registered
5,669 Posts
My dd is a big breastfed baby too. I don't see a thing to worry about.

Kylie was 30lbs at 6 months and exclusively breastfed. At 13 months she was 31lbs 4ozs. So, in 7 months she gained 1lb 4ozs. She started moving and her weight stablized
I'm sure your baby will do the same thing.

· Premium Member
16,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveChild421
I have just never seen a really huge BF baby and am wondering if this is normal?

Completely normal!! My bf babe was over 15 lbs. at 2 months, and my idiot doctor told me to start him on water
(I ignored him and changed docs)

I kept breastfeeding ds and now he's a very normal-weight almost-3-year-old!

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you guys! I feel very relieved! My grandma keeps saying "you need to watch his weight, only feed him every 3 hours" and I just kept thinking "yeah that might be true for FF babies"

· Registered
9,175 Posts
My ds was a butterball babe too, and he slimmed down a LOT once he started crawling and walking. He was 90th percentile in weight until he was about 5 mos. old, and ebf on demand for the first 6 mos.. I loooooooooved all that baby chub.

Tell your FIL to take a flying leap.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Two comments:

1) Bmilk is *perfect* for babies and causes them to grow exactly how they are supposed to. Bfed babies do tend to be heavier than their formula fed counterparts for the first 4-6 months and then are around the same size by one year (ffed babies grow on a more linear scale). BUT, there will always be some of each--- huge & tiny bfed babies, huge & tiny ffed babies. (BTW, fil met a 35 lb 5 month old once, and I have known several children to hit 20 lbs by 4 months, so your guy isn't even *that* big)

2) Simply look through this forum to see how many people are encouraged to wean (or limit nursing) because... their babies are too SMALL. People are just ignorant when it comes to bfeeding, so tend to blame any "problems"/differences on bfeeding even though they are often totally unrelated.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Don't worry....Angelo is over 25 lbs and is 7 months.....breastfed only.

· Registered
11,727 Posts
19 pound 4 monther here and my doctor isn't the least bit concerned
I think his exact words were something to the effect of "Well we know the food is good at your house!" :LOL

All my boys have always been above the scale for the first year, and then they trim up.

· Registered
3,628 Posts
Your baby is fine! Don't listen to everyone. They should mind their own business. I feel you pain, but I have the opposite problem. My nursling is at the bottom end of the charts, and I get asked if I'm sure she's getting enough to eat. Yes, I'm sure! I was really small and petite like that as a baby too.

· Registered
5,815 Posts
another huge baby here too born at 9 lbs 13 oz. he was 19.2" and 27" tall by 3 mos. 22.8 lbs and 29" tall by 4 months. 25.4 lbs and 30" by 6 months...so much for doubling your weight by 6 months. :LOL we actually had an idiotic doctor loudly calling a friend of hers into the examining room saying "this baby's SO fat, you have to come see this." dh goes "what did you say?" and she stupidly responds "i said, he's really fat!"
my mil would tell me the most ignorant things about waiting 3 hours between feedings...i even had a pediatrician tell me to wait so my breasts had time to fill up...what a moron. thank god i had read about b'feeding and knew my a$* from my elbow...kwim.
now at 2, he's 36lbs and 39" tall...still big but his growing is very normal. he gained about 4 pounds in 1 year and grew 5".

anyway...don't worry what others tell you. i was freaked out. i thought ds had a growth hormone disorder or was always going to grow so fast and so much...but he didn't. now he seems so thin! almost all of his rolls are gone.
:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.