Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ~

I was wondering if I can drink caffeine while breastfeeding and if so how would I time it? Thank you!

Many Blessings ~ Rachel

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Different babes seem to react differently to caffeine...some mamas find they can drink coffee and other caffeinated drinks all day without impacting their nurslings, while other mamas find that even a little piece of chocolate can make their babe fussy or wakeful.

So if you're just adding back caffeine then maybe go slow to see how your nursling reacts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I drink about a half a cup of coffee shortly after our morning mega-session. I figure that the effects of caffeine wear off before we nurse or I pump again. I think PP is right -- just pay attention to how your DC reacts and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a couple glasses of cola a day (a bad habit I have been weanig myself from for awhile) and I DID notice DS was effected by it when I drank more than that and he was an infant but I was drinkingabout 6 cupsd a day. I think in moderation it is fine.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I just wanted to say my baby is cranky w/o his AM coffee

I have noticed that if I drink coffee in the PM my DS stays awake longer. So I have to avoid it in the PM if I want him to sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
my ds has always seemed sensitive to caffiene. he sleeps very restlessly, and will even wake up in the middle of the night to play.

sometimes i have something early in the morning, but he has like a 5 hour block from the time he gets up until after lunch where he doesn't nurse (i think due to the like 2 hour nursing session while we both try to stay asleep a little longer
).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.