Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when i got pregnant. after giving birth, i became hyperthyroid and now 2 months later, i'm hypothyroid again but much worse than before. my son is 4 months and appears to be doing well. i have been breastfeeding exclusively. i'm concerned that he might get affected by all this.
has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
: for a friend...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
i seem to be moderately hypo (many symptoms but no access to medical care, had a lump on my thyroid while pregnant) natural treatments are dried seaweed, 5-10 grams a day, for natural iodine content and trace minerals to support the thyroid, and magnesium supplements with zinc (citrate like the 'mama calm' kind absorb the best. I haven't been on the seaweed very long. The kelp from the health food store makes me feel better than the stuff from the Japanese store, it's harvested differently. even if you get thyroid meds, I would recommend the supplements. breastfeeding drains the thyroid glands, nutritional support helps everything. If you can't get meds, they sell dessicated thyroid- just can't remember what mammal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts