Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow oh wow what problems we are having

Just a little background.. Phoebe was born last weds. night. She nursed ok in the hospital, and we were released on Friday. Her birth weight was 6-10 and her discharge weight was 6-6. On Monday of this week, she was 6-4 at the peds, and she had jaundice. They tested her bilirubin level, and it was so high that she was readmitted to be put under the lights. During this time, her nursing got worse. She would latch on, but she wasn't taking anything in. Her weight kept dropping, and finally I agreed to supplement her with formula. So for monday-wednesday we were in the hospital nursing, and then supplementing if she was still hungry.

When we got out on wednesday, the lc hooked me up with a breastpump. She said that Phoebe was just not nursing good, she was so lethargic and sleepy because of the jaundice. (It is ABO incompatibility jaundice BTW). So she instructed me to nurse her for 15 minutes, then give her 2 oz of bm by bottle right after. Then I'm supposed to be pumping every 2 hours to kickstart my milk supply which was just going down to nothing because she wasn't nursing good.

But now, exactly what I didn't want to happen, she PREFERS the bottle. She fusses at the breast and cries and won't latch on. How can I reverse this? It makes me sad that this has happened, and it wasn't even my fault. I tried to give BF a go, but its just not working. I can't have her losing weight every day. I kind of feel like the LC set me up for failure by telling me to give her a bottle after every feeding because now that is all seh wants. I can't even pump enough bm for her so she gets half of her bottles with formula. What a huge mess this has all turned out to be.

I didn't nurse my first two children, and to be honest, I'm regretting even trying with this one. She doesn't know where her next meal is going to be and what she is going to eat for crying out loud! This whole thing has me pretty depressed

Anyone have any suggestions? I do have two older children so I can't sit around and just nurse all day unfortunately.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it doesn't really matter anymore - just got back from another weigh in and she lost more weight since Weds. Our pedi told me to stop nursing and give her bottles of ebm and formula and keep track fo what she eats.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm so sorry momma! I don't have much advice because I don't have that much experience but it seems like to me that it would be a good idea to get a SNS and fill it with ebm. Perhaps your dc will nurse better with the SNS because at least some of it is coming out without having to work for it. I know with ds, sometimes I had to express a little bm on my nipple to get him to latch, otherwise he would just cry at my breast. Perhaps it would be good to carry your dc in the sling during the day so she will be at the breast and your milk will be accessible! I know that you are having such a hard time, but I hope that you do not give up now!!!! I will be praying for your nursing relationship!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hugs, Sam had ABO incompatiblity Jaundice too. So did Alexis. For now, make your goal to get her better. With Alexis, she did not nurse well till her numbers were droping and she was recovering. I gave up breastfeeding and used bottles for alittle while. Then I worked with her and we were able to get her back to the breast. Do you have an IBCLC avable to help you? I got luckly this time and Sam had nursed well the whole time.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Sarah, don't give up on nursing...PLEASE....
I have two little ones also and was able to pump every two hours for 3 months...it is hard, boy do I know....I made sure that the kids has snacks, books and toys for during this pumping time...I also let them watch more movies then usual...but, hey, it was what i had to do...kwim?
Hang in there mama!!!! Pheobe is going to be OK...and so are you...
BTW, how are the jitters going?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Another vote for not giving up. Try an sns or lact-aid. Avoid bottles. Get her over the worst of the jaundice then nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse. Keep in mind that peds know next to nothing about nursing or nutrition.

hang in there! Your baby deserves her birthright!

-Angela

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree w/ the PP who said concentrate on getting your DD better. As she gets stronger and more aware, she could very easily learn to latch on and BF just fine.
My first DD was in the NICU for her first 2 weeks and came home drinking formula/BM and from a bottle/breast b/c I couldn't pump enough and she wasn't strong enough for the breast till she was 2 weeks. (She was born at 34 weeks.) She ended up BFing till 15 months.
Lots of skin-to-skin contact helped too.
Newborns are amazingly adaptable at times. Try not to focus on this moment being what it's going to be like for the next few months b/c things will probably change.
Hang in there!
I think it's great that you're trying to BF, and every drop your baby has had has helped her. I think the hardest part is to just relax and try to take each day as it comes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts