Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one: a man among the ladies! But mother (Nina) is off with our 3 year old (Alice), so I've been delegated...the issue is miscarriage and breastfeeding, and if anyone can throw light on what we've experienced this year. Alice has just turned 3, is still on the breast, bedsharer, etc. She's pretty much off during the day, but goes to sleep both for her naps and at night on it. She's always been a nightwaker and, even now, will wake 3 or 4 (sometimes more) times, have a (generally quick) nibble, and go back to sleep. She also likes to sleep on it, but Nina is gradually putting a stop to that. Overall though, it's an important relationship, both for her and her mother. We've had two miscarriages this year, one in May, and the second a few weeks ago. Conceiving hasn't been a problem, but holding the pregnancy has been. Both were early (5-6 weeks). There can obvioulsy be many reasons for the miscarriages. But the interesting thing is (maybe just coincidence) that each time, at precisely the time Nina found out she was pregnant, Alice went through a couple of nights of ferocious suckling – up every hour or so. Then, a day later, Nina starts to cramp and then miscarries. What we've been told and what we've read says breastfeeding shouldn't compromise a pregnancy, but something is telling us otherwise. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I just wanted to send
and support, I'm sorry for your losses. I don't know much regarding your situation, other than standard-issue facts: many pregnancies are lost early on, and that the ferocious suckling could be due to the fact that Nina's milk supply decreased early. That could also be a hormonal issue, possibly abnormal since many women don't experience a decrease in milk until around 12 weeks (this was my experience, as well). Perhaps the early decrease in milk signals a hormonal imbalance?

I'm sure other mothers will know much more than myself about this subject - maybe you should change the title of your thread to reflect the topic; that way you'll get more responses.

Best wishes and good luck conceiving! I nursed my first daughter until she weaned when I was approximately 5 months pregnant with no problems, and I have several friends who've nursed throughout their pregnancy.
alison

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have a feeling this is a possibility too, the same thing happened to me, and my body is telling me that it might be due to extended nursing. Obviously not the case for all, or even most, but since it happened to me I've been paying attention and it does seem possible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also have had a recent miscarriage but I assure you that nursing isn't the reason why it happened. I nursed my first successfully through the second pregnancy without incident. There is no medical reason why you can't nurse while pregnant and your child was probably noticing a drop in your supply and was just naturally trying to build it back up. But unless she was vigorously nursing for more than 45 minutes straight many times a day that wouldn't be why you miscarried. There are a lot of environmental factors and toxins in the environment that play a big role as well as stress. I think that it is natural to wonder and worry if nursing is the reason that you miscarried but it really isn't. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what went wrong, but even if we could know, would that really solve anything? That would probably just make us more crazy! You are obviously capable of getting pregnant and maintaining a pregnancy. It's just dumb, stupid luck that this happened to you and the rest of us, and no matter what it is not easy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Excpet the third pregnancy was fine and now I have 2 girls. I really don't think the nursing caused the miscarriages, although I did wonder. My 1st was an avid up all night nursing during both miscarriages and my last pregnancy. I was told that the only time the breastfeeding could impact my pregnancy was at the VERY end, when my baby was starting to make labor happen. At that point a lot of nursing could hurry things up.

I am sorry for your losses. It is always hard.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
There are no studies that show that breastfeeding causes miscarriage.

In the OP's case, it sounds like it could be a hormonal imbalance since the nursling increased nursing at the same time as the m/c (increase in nursing is usually a sign of dip in supply or other reason where an increase in supply is needed).

I had a miscarriage, then a successful pregnancy, then nursed through a pregnancy (got pg when ds was 9 months old), then tandem nursed through the next pregnancy, and recently tandem nursed through yet another pregnancy.

There is some good info at:
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/e...scarriage.html
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/a...cy_safety.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
i am sorry for your losses. i would say if you want to conceive again please get her hormone levels checked VERY early...the ob may want her on hormones after o time in a cycle to support any possible pg. it does sound like a dip in supply, and any time there are two or more early mc, especially in a row, the possibility of hormonal imbalance is higher than average if other factors have been ruled out (genetic issues, etc). good luck!

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
So sorry to hear of your losses.

But agreeing with the PPs, there's no real evidence of a link between BF'g and miscarriages.

I've also had several miscarriages, but have also nursed through several successful pregnancies. The two really can't be related that way.

Good luck ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.