Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies. I'm kinda new here and have a question.

I'm BFing my almost 6 mo old and haven't started having periods yet. Now, while it's really nice to not have periods, we have some fertility issues, so I want to start trying again soon.

DS nurses about 5 times a day right now and has been sleeping thru the night for a while. I've just started giving him some solids b/c he's soooo interested in food.

So, is there a way to encourage the return of fertility without jeopardizing my BFing relationship with DS?

TIA!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
It varies, but my periods just returned and DS is 16 mo old. I just had my second period but it was my first full period.

It depends somewhat on you, when you nurse, how much you let your child suckle, etc. But I would not encourage you to wean to return your fertility, since it works to your benefit to help space your kids.

There's a great book, a little dated, but helpful by LLL on breastfeeding and fertility. Maybe someone here has the title?

GL!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Same here, af didn't return until ds was 16 months. We were ready to ttc at 1 year, so I was getting impatient. It is possible for fertility to return at 6 months or close thereafter, but not as likely if you bf/pump full-time. I don't know what your fertility issues are, but I generally would also not recommend weaning this early. Check out Kellymom's website, she has a lot of stuff on bf'ing and fertility.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
This early the only thing I know that is safe is to start taking a B vitamin complex with B6. However, I recommend not taking it anywhere near baby's bed time, as it used to make my nursling hyper from the extra vitamins (no harm, but extra energy) and it tended to hit her system about 4 hours after I took it.

And I wanted to add that I know a couple of people IRL who had difficulties concieving #1 and then #2 was much easier to concieve, I hope this turns out to be true for you too. (each time dc#1 was over a year old before they started trying though)

Peace,
Laura

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, DD is 20 months old, and I've yet to have a real period. The only reason I've had any sort of AF is because I started taking Vitex. You should come check out this thread: Nursing Mommas getting pregnant in June.

Also, check out this link on Vitex.

Some people may say that you should let af return on her own and not "mess" with your cycles. And actually, I think you should wait until your baby is at least a year old (just to make sure that your supply isn't affected with getting pg.) before you do anything, but it is your decision. I couldn't wait any longer. I mean, I'm not getting any younger, and neither is DH (who will be 41 this year!
) That being said, good luck!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm so glad I scrolled through some of the previous threads. I posted earlier today about re-starting my cycle while nursing, and what I could take to help make that happen. I'm checking out the Vitex thing now, and we'll see what happens! It does sound like what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Mindi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts