Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, I have issues with using a sippy cup. I'm not 100% sure why, kinda just like a feeling. Dd is excl bf, but we are thinking of slowly introducing solids. We thought of giving her a tiny bit of water. For some reason, I think that a sippy cup could lead to biting while bf (if dc gets used to biting while drinking out of the cup) or since it's not a latch, create latching problems and lead to early weaning. Any thoughts on these? What about just using a reg cup? It would just be water, so I don't care about messes. We bought a little cup and a sippy today. But the sippy is in the package, and I'm very very tempted just to return it. Anyone just go straight to a cup?

Thanks

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd learned how to use a regular cup before she figured out the sippy. I didn't have any latch problems with the sippy though (though I did with a straw- OUCH- we stopped that one fast) My dd does great with an open cup except she makes a royal mess (now she likes to stick her hand in the cup too) so even though we just do water, I don't give her an open cup often.

hope that helps!

-Angela

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've noticed latch problems with nurslings using sippy cups when the nursling gets older and nurses less frequently. My kids have always been at least 2 before I've had to correct their latch due to "sippy cup syndrome". I now use sippy cups only where and when completely necessary (Gramma and Papa's house, in the car, etc.) and regular cups when at home.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My DD never figured out how to use the sippy cup so now at almost 14 months, she uses a regular cup at home and a straw cup when out. The sippy cup frustrated her. Could have been the brand we used though....

Forgot to add, no latching problems noted as of yet...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
how old is your dd? I don't think a sippy would mess up your latch is it's well-established. I started both my boys on Gerber sippys at 4 months old (just letting them play with it for a while) and it never messed with their latch or caused biting (they both did go through a very short biting period, but that's normal and didn't corelate to the cup use). But I don't see anything wrong with a regular cup either, my younger ds loves drinking water from my cup.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great responses! Dd is 10 months old, and exclusively bf. We are going to slowly be starting solids. I really want to do clw, and don't want to have something like a sippy cup possibly interfere if it can mess up the latch. I think maybe for now, we will return the cup, and practice a bit with a regular cup. I'm in no rush for a cup, just thought she could practice, and it's so hot, spilling cold water might be refreshing :LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
We use cups that have a built-in popup straw and they work really well. The nice thing is that they don't have to be tilted back, so DS was able to hold his cup and take sips on his own without us having to hold the cup and tilt it back for him.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Hiya!

As you know, J uses a sippy, but she actually prefers just drinking out of a regular cup. It hasn't caused us any problems, but I think I am going to skip it with the next baby because it is unnecessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.