Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i got pregnant, i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. i was put on synthroid right away and my tsh levels went back to normal throughout the entire pregnancy. when i gave birth, i continued taking the hormones but soon after, we realized i had become hyperthyroid. so i stopped taking all medication. now, two months later, i am hypothyroid again but very severe (my tsh was 97 and it's never been this high before). my doctor put me back on synthroid.

my son had a thyroid test done when he was born and it came back normal. i have been breastfeeding exclusively all along. should i retest my son because all that my body has been going through? can my elevated tsh affect my son through breastmilk?

anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i think the main thing is to keep your thyroid under control to produce milk. i dont think you can give thyroid disease to your baby. this my second ebf baby and i'm hypo. i take synthroid and keep an eye on my thyroid.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You probably don't need to retest your son. Keep up the synthroid or your milk supply may drop off. Pregnancy does weird things to your thyroid. Mine was great while I was pregnant, no medication needed, then after giving birth, my thyroid would kick into high gear. I'd lose like 35 lbs in 2 weeks, shake, and not be able to sleep. It's kind of a fine balance. I've been off the thyroid meds for 4 years now with no problems.
Hugs to you Mama. It should get better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Hashimoto's, and it's hard to keep under control so I read a whole lot about it post-partum. As the others have said, keep up your levels normal because hypothyroid can cause low supply.

The thing that concerned me most was that if you take too MUCH medication, some can get into your milk and suppress your baby's natural thyroid function.

Didn't you have a hard time with such a high TSH level? When mine was 95 I was terribly depressed, had muscle cramps, fainting, and basically could not move. And I didn't have a new baby at that point.

Congratulations on the new baby!
Kate

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's funny because I never had any symptoms. When I was hyperthyroid, I did feel hot all the time but that's about it. Now that my TSH is at 97, I feel fine. I started taking synthroid again and hopefully it'll go back to normal. I test my hormone levels every month.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If the medicine is right, it is correcting the hormone levels to where they should be and will not affect your baby. I read a study a couple of years ago that found evidence that certain thyroid medicines used to correct hypothyroidism may actually help to prevent similar future problems in individuals who were breastfeed by mothers taking those medications. I don't remember which medications they were, and I'm not sure which journal it was in - or I would go look it up.

I've been on thyroid meds for years. It amd EXHUASTED and DRAG without them. My children have not had any problems. Right now I am pregnant and breastfeeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.