Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am due with #2 in September and have been looking for some new nursing bras - but wanted to make sure I was getting the "right" size. And now I have some questions (after measuring) -- I measured last time too (used the instructions at breastfeedingworld.com) .....

Last time, I was a 38E/DD -- this time, it looks like I'm a 38D? I did lose about 15 pounds between pregnancies, but honestly I think I'm back to about the weight I was at this point with my first pregnancy, so I'm wondering if my size measurement is correct.

Last time, the soft cup/leisure type bras (soft cotton snap fronts, 'night nursing' bras) fit best, and were in fact maybe almost 'too small' in terms of how they fit - I wasn't overflowing, but they definitely fit well. But, the more "structured" cup bras (I think I got a couple "nunderwire" types and a few of the top-fastening bras) were more loose and almost baggy in terms of the cup size themselves. I'm wondering if maybe I measured wrong in the first place (but then, the soft cup bras fit perfectly??).....

Before I order more bras, I'd like to make sure I will actually wear them (I've some expensive bras in my drawer right now that didn't get a lot of wear) .... but I would like some new ones. My old snap ones are a bit worn out after 2 1/2 years of wear, for instance! And I've found some nice new ones which are in nude tones (I didn't find any those colors when looking before, just blazing white or black mostly) -- I'd like some bras that don't show through shirts, and look "seamless" under the shirt, etc. And I found a few "sexy" ones too that I'd like .... but these are expensive enough, I don't want to end up with more "bras in the drawer" KWIM?

I'm about 6 weeks from my due date at this point, so that's where these measurements are based. I think last time I waited 'til 4 weeks 'til the due date to order bras, but then the nursing bras didn't *arrive* 'til I'd given birth, dh had to bring them to the hospital for me to wash and try on! So I'd like to order in time to have bras ready (although I'll probably just bring my old snap bras since they worked so well last time anyway).

Any thoughts/suggestions would be wonderful!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since you have no replies . . .

You certainly have the analysis of the problem down pat
(that's fine I probably would too)

Breast size changes too much during pregnancy for any reliable measurement especially after birth. I know this is a pain but I suggest using ones you like (the snap ones) after birth like you said. Get measured after the birth and then buy/order appropriately. It sounds like you have enough bras and variation to "hold you over" until you get the new ones. It may be a pain but seems to be what works best for most women.

HTH

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I wouldn't buy more then one or two bras before your milk comes in. It would be a real shame if you did and they were the wrong size. Every pregnancy is different and so is each nursing relationship. Your breasts might end up being bigger or smaller then you expect. good luck to you!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If you can, right now get a bra or two that accommodates more than one cup size, that way you have something to tide you over. It's impossible, in my experience, to accurately determine exactly where you're going to wind up.

I was a 42DDD when I got pregnant the first time, and went into the hospital in a bra that accommodated E/F/G (DDD=E); it had some room before she was born, but none afterward! I wound up in a 42H. Through losing weight and nursing less, I was a 38F when I got pregnant with #2, and wound up a 38H. That's where I was when I got pregnant with #3, and I am a 38J right now.

I tend to literally go up one whole cup size when my milk comes in. If that was your experience with #1, expect it to happen again with #2...but that still doesn't really answer for breast growth during pregnancy. This last time around, I had no perceptible breast growth until the tail end of my pregnancy!

If you're unfamiliar with measuring for bra size, this is what you do: put on your best-fitting bra. Measure around your ribcage. This is the band size. Some sources will tell you to add as many as 4" to your ribcage measurement to get your band size; IME it's a matter of personal preference. (Your bra should be fastened in the middle set of eyes, assuming you've 3 sets like most bras seem to.) Then measure around the fullest part of your bust, and subtract that number from the band size. That difference will give you your cup size. BUT, be aware that once you get beyond D-cups, sizing is no longer standard. Some companies call a DD an E, others call a DDD an E, and of course others call DDD an F and don't have an E at all! It can be very confusing, and I'll bet it's something like that which tripped you up with the different bra types. For instance, I have an 11" difference between band size and full bust circumference, so my cup size is called H, J, or GG, depending on the brand. (This is a good start for sussing cup sizes in various brands, but it's not totally comprehensive.) ALWAYS check the size chart for whatever brand you're considering!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll hold on for now and not order anything, wait 'til the baby arrives. I had retained placenta and subsequent supply issues related to that and a reflux babe limiting feeds anyway, and never went through the "cup overfloweth" stage of bf with Ina --- just the "rebuilding supply" stage.
So it might be wisest to wait. Although there are some good sales on for WBFW! Ah, well.

Pssst -- Sagesgirl - I have a younger sister who shares her name with your dd (Esther) -- same spelling even. Very cool. She rappells out of helicopters to fight forest fires! And the aunt she was named for was just an amazing woman as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.