Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to give birth - really I'm 4 cm and just waiting for labor to kick in and still uncertain about breastfeeding. You see, my breasts never developed and I ended up having implants from a surgeon specializing in reconstructive breast surgery. He did not feel that there was enough breast tissue to produce milk but they were done under the muscle so if I do produce milk I can breastfeed without worry. Additionally, they haven't gotten bigger or changed in any way since being pregnant. We are going to try and see what happens but I've also researched formula and have a little on hand just in case.

To complicate matters I suffer from endometriosis and need to go back on a rather high dose birth control pill fairly soon after giving birth. From what I've read this can seriously affect your milk supply. Yet if I don't go back on it I could end up facing a lot of pain, another surgery, etc etc etc.

Is there any hope here? Anyone else experience anything like this? Any great resources out there?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
First of all -
. That is a really tough situation, and I feel for you.

If I were you, I would just try to bf as much as possible. You'll never know til you try, and any breastmilk is better than none, plus you will get to experience the closeness of bf'ing. Also, try to go on domperidone, it will boost your supply some. Fenugreek can also help and so can blessed thistle (but in the latter case make sure you take a tincture, not pills - they seemed pretty ineffective).

HTH. I also hope your labour goes well and you are soon cuddling your new little baby!!! Congrats in advance!

·
Registered
729 Posts
get an sns or lact-aid for the supplement. even if you dont make any milk whatsoever you can still nurse. it is hard to use a supplementer like that though (especillly once they get older and get grabby) so if you dont do it long its understandable.

there are also people out there willing to donate milk too. there are sevral threads on here about it, and someone has some of them in their sig.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I agree, it's hard to know till you try. Where is your incision form the surgery?
Sometimes, endometriosis improves after a pregnancy. if you're lucky, you may not need to go back on the birth control pills.
If there is a lactation consultant in your area, I'd definitely ercommend you give her a call.
All the best to you mama.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
If you can't bf, definately use the supplementer. I'm not producing much, but my girls love to latch on and there is nothing like laying on the couch with your babe nursing and getting that sleepy, full tummy look. You just have to look past the tubing. Also, check out the MOBI yahoo group. There are some excellent resources there!

Good luck with your birth and you bf'ing!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts