Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Trying to work this out in my head<br><br>
This was posted in Health & Healing under a thread about sun/sunscreen/skin cancer:<br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Originally Posted by moneca<br>
This is an interesting statement to me that skin ca usually occurs after a person has had a couple of kids. Galeforce is finishing up a book on PPD related to maternal malnutrition. She discusses maternal nutrient depletion from growing and nursing a baby on any diet that is not nutrient dense. Makes perfect sense to me from a nutritional standpoint that (for females that is) your body would be more prone to any disease when it is in a malnourished state after bearing and nursing a few kids. Of course, I believe all disease has a whole host of factors from emotional, genetic, environmental and nutritional. No one lives in a bubble these days.</td>
</tr></table></div>
So, these were my thoughts:<br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Okay, I'm sorry to go off topic here, but I have been wondering about the depletion after bearing and nursing kids...Specifically the nursing part. We all know how demanding it is on our bodies to provide for a little one's nutrition via our BM. And, it is very important to get good nutrition ourselves so that the good stuff gets transferred to the milk. Also, there is evidence that post partum emotional disorders (sorry I don't remember the correct medical term) can be very much related to diet.<br><br>
One thing that made me think of this was the article on Post Partum Psychosis in this issue of Mothering Mag. The author talked about how she was tandem nursing on one meal a day. It was clear to me that her body went into shock and had to send out a call for help to get what it and the children needed.<br><br>
So, here is my question (which I need to probably post to lactivism): How can we further educate people of the nutritional demands of nursing and dangers of PPD, etc, without making it sound like BFing is "dangerous" or too restrictive? LLL, in particular, always promotes the idea that you don't really need to change your diet to BF, there are no particular foods you should avoid per se, etc.<br><br>
Sorry, this ended up WAY off topic. I'll go post in lactivism...</td>
</tr></table></div>
I thought I would also get more of the nutritional perspective over here. What do you mamas think? Is LLL correct in their approach? If there are any NT mamas here, you know how Sally Fallon feels about their stance. I have also heard Momtezuma Tuatara and others refer to the fact that your (pregnant and lactating) body takes what it needs and the child gets what is left over. So, are we depriving our children if we don't eat super diets? How can we approach new moms about the need for a nutrient dense diet without overwhelming them and turning them off to BFing? At the risk of oversimplifying, won't it sound too hard?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts