Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.romper.com/p/breastfeed...-babies-their-first-vaccine-unicef-says-15400

According to the organization, warned that about 77 million newborns around the world – or 1 in 2 – are not breastfed within the first hour of being born, which can deprive them of essential nutrients and antibodies that could help them fight off illnesses in the future.
"Making babies wait too long for the first critical contact with their mother outside the womb decreases the newborn’s chances of survival, limits milk supply and reduces the chances of exclusive breastfeeding," UNICEF Senior Nutrition Adviser France Bégin said in a press release. "If all babies are fed nothing but breast milk from the moment they are born until they are six months old, over 800,000 lives would be saved every year."
Obviously, someone got mixed up. Much more important is getting babies started on their REAL vaccines, right?

The 800,000 lives saved EVERY year is a pretty impressive number.

I need to contribute money to this cause, I'll have to research effective organizations working in developing countries.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My kids both exclusively breastfed for 6 months and vaccinated. Can choose both forms of protection.

Also worth pointing out how lifesaving formula is for those babies who cannot access breast milk. Those formula making companies are awful though.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My kids both exclusively breastfed for 6 months and vaccinated. Can choose both forms of protection.

Also worth pointing out how lifesaving formula is for those babies who cannot access breast milk. Those formula making companies are awful though.
That is an interesting moral problem. Companies that try to manipulate women who could breastfeed into using formula instead are quite obviously injuring babies. On the other hand, the availability of formula has saved a lot of lives. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/n...ew-the-lid-off-the-formula-industry-in-1974-1

If we go with the greatest good for the greatest number, I'd guess that the injuries and deaths from artificial feeding in the developing world probably outstrip the lives saved by a good number, but those greatest good calculations are considered valid for vaccines, but not for baby formula for some unknown reason. Oh well.

Reactions: japonica

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
How does this affect the new idea of not breastfeeding during vaccines or after, as the claim is, it will hurt/interfere with the vaccine's efficacy? CDC advises delaying breastfeeding...what i want to know is, are any drs in the USA actively saying this to new moms?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20442687

this study uses Indian women, and then uses those results for recommendations in the USA??

The original article about this originally appeared in a USA article.

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does this affect the new idea of not breastfeeding during vaccines or after, as the claim is, it will hurt/interfere with the vaccine's efficacy? CDC advises delaying breastfeeding...what i want to know is, are any drs in the USA actively saying this to new moms?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20442687

this study uses Indian women, and then uses those results for recommendations in the USA??

The original article about this originally appeared in a USA article.
Well, the article I linked is talking about immediate breastfeeding and I think the rotavirus vaccine isn't given until 2 months of age, so there isn't a huge connection, on one level.

I don't think that the recommendation to skip a bit of breastfeeding is an actual attack on breastfeeding, but it is a bit weird.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Well, the article I linked is talking about immediate breastfeeding and I think the rotavirus vaccine isn't given until 2 months of age, so there isn't a huge connection, on one level.

I don't think that the recommendation to skip a bit of breastfeeding is an actual attack on breastfeeding, but it is a bit weird.
no, not an attack but extremely poor advice by a pedi, women will listen to. And then obey.

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, not an attack but extremely poor advice by a pedi, women will listen to. And then obey.
I think the big risk is that it is like a long stretched out game of telephone--how this info will filter down to the crew delivering the vaccines in the field. And how this crew will communicate it to the parents who are bringing their babies for doses of rotavirus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts