Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last time I took my daughter (22 months) into the pediatrician, she had had a gloppy nose for about two weeks. I don't normally go for antibiotics, I don't think she had ever had one before that point but I thought she needed them because she wasn't getting better on her own and it had been two weeks.

The doctor looked at her file which is pretty sparse and said "wow, she has been really healthy." Thinking about this for both of my children they say this at every well visit and they always seem really shocked by the fact that they aren't sickly. The truth of the matter is I don't think my children have been to the doctor more than one or two times besides well visits I remember going in once for croup (which they did nothing for) and once for RSV last year (which again they don't really do anything for) .

I wonder how sick the average child is around here and how many times parents needlessly drag them to the doctor for sniffles. I am convinced it is breastfeeding that has made them so hearty. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My DD is 11 months, and she had 1 very minor cold at 3 months (cough, sneezing, runny nose). It didn't disrupt her whatsoever. She also had a one-day fever with no other symptoms at 6 months. Thats it! AND during her lifetime, I got the chickenpox for the second time (which she scratched at constantly) AND DH was sick for 6 days with the flu. BM rocks!

ETA: My nephew, who was NOT bf, is fully vaxed, and is in daycare, has been sick more than he has been well, and (seriously) has been on antibiotics about 8-10 times (He just turned two). He had had so many ear infections, he is partially deaf in one ear

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
We're at 15 months EPing, and DS has had one sick-baby visit for Pyloric Stenosis (GI birth defect requiring laproscopic surgery) and 1 visit for a cold. We were treated for GERD for a time, and were also treated for a birthmark that had ulcerated (strawberry hemagioma) using steroids, which SHOULD have lowered our immune system. However, we have had no ear or sinus infections. We've had one viral GI infection;We've never needed antibiotics.

So, as far as communicable diseases go, we've had 2 colds, and enteric virus, and that's it. Usually, babies have an average of 8 colds the first year.

So, yeah, Breastfeeding has probably kept DS extremely healthy and happy and well adjusted!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My oldest had not a single cold in 2 yrs (until he self weaned)

My new baby though gets everything going...he's had a cold leading to a chest infection, 2 belly button infections, and a virus. He's only 3.5 months and EBF. I think it helps but does not always = 100% healthy all the time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snot was greenish yellow and it was pretty severe. *yuck* The antibiotic they gave me cleared it up in like four days. I am not keen on antibiotics but I do think they have there place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.