Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sad news is I have to go back to work and the amount pumped saved milk I have is meager. The good news is that my boss has agreed with my request to telecommute half of the day which means I will be working from home in the afternoons.

The tricky thing is my baby once on my nipple will be on it for hours. DD has rejected pacifier and finger and loves to cruise on the nipple. She nurses to sleep and wakes up when the nipple is pulled out.

Anyway- is there a website pictures that show babies in slings breastfeeding? Maybe that way I can get work done while she is attached to my breast. She is 3months old and her head control is not all there yet- so her hand head coordination is not yet developed. It has to be a way that the sling can hold her in position while I work (on my computer) *sigh*

Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used an Ultimate Baby Wrap... similar to a Moby. Its very stretchy and took a bit of use to figure out how to properly wear it. Someone showed me if I tied it on 'too tight' after a few minutes it would loosen and be the perfect tightness to keep my dd in the perfect nursing position hands free.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello!
That's great that you are able to telecommute part of the time!! It is definitely possible to nurse a babe in sling...I did that all the time with dd when she was little. I have a OTSBH (ring sling)....this is how I did it.

1. Put the sling on...leave it loose enough to get baby in it.
2. Put baby up on your shoulder opposite the rings, like you're going to burp her.
3. Slide her down so she is on your chest, between you and the sling.
4. Supporting her head w/ one hand, and her butt w/ the other, turn her so she is laying sideways, tummy to tummy w/ you, head near your breast. Her head should be opposite the rings, feet towards the rings, maybe poking out depending on how long she is.

BTW, have your shirt pulled up at least part way for nursing before starting!!

Now, cradle her w/ the arm by her head, eg the arm OPPOSITE the rings. Tighten the sling w/ the other arm and spread the fabric up towards her head and down towards her feet. Be sure her whole torso and little bum, and as much of her head and feet as possible, are supported. You'll probably want/have to support her head yet a little, at least til you sit down, and as she gets longer/bigger, the sling won't hold her all in, lengthwise.

Hope those weren't too complicated...if you can find someone around, like at a la leche league meeting or a baby (sling selling) store, it's probably easier to understand seeing someone do it.

If you're having trouble pm me and I'll try to take some pics and email them to you.

Also, do you have a Boppy? I found this was great for nursing my little one to sleep and then being on the computer. I could even nurse her on the couch and then get up and carefully hold both her and the pillow and transition to the computer.

Good luck...don't hesitate to pm me if things aren't working!!!

rachael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.