Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all for NIP, do it every time the chance comes up.

However, I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the idea of nursing in church. Maybe because I wouldn't eat in church? We weren't even allowed to chew gum in church as a kid; I grew up with lots of rules about what's okay and what's not in church, especially in the sanctuary. I've been able to "get over" most of my upbringing, but this is still a stickler for me. So, convince me that it's appropriate. thanks, mamas!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Well I personally think church is a great place to nurse! It keeps the baby happy and quiet while Momma gets to enjoy the service sitting down instead of pacing.

The way I see it is that breastfeeding is more than about eating, it's about comfort and love - so therefore church is a very appropriate place to show that kind of care! It's different then someone pulling out an Italian sub and going to town.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
What would Jesus do? Why nurse the baby of course!

I have a problem with any "house of God" that wouldn't welcome a nursing child.

-Angela

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hehe. I've been thinking about this, too. We are front-sitters (like, the third row back) and I think I'd be a little too shy to NIP right there. Particularly during the sermon, with the pastor (who has 3 kids and all, but still) looking down at us! I just wouldn't want to distract him!

In the back of our sanctuary there are pews against the wall where a lot of mamas have their babes so they can leave if things get noisy. And in the hallway just outside the sanctuary doors (which are always kept open) there are a couple of wing chairs that I totally plan on using!

There is a girl at my church who is a major NIPer to her toddler and no one gives her problems, so I'm sure my much less flagrant nursing will be fine.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

Um, I think Jesus was missing mammary glands...

I'm Catholic, and I nurse all the time in church--now I nurse my 2 1/2 year old. God created breasts, He knows what they're for. And I'm pretty sure if He's all-knowing, He knows I nurse anyhow. I think He would rather me feed my kid then have him disrupt mass. LOL! Usually we sit in the front, so the priest pretty much knows B's still nursing. LOL!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I nursed my 8 month old in church last week. It is much less disruptive than him crying or me getting up to leave.

Interestingly the service was about "living in harmony" and I kept thinking about how breastfeeding is a great example of actively living in harmony.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyRae
Um, I think Jesus was missing mammary glands...

Yeah, I was torn about which direction to go.... so I split the difference

What would Jesus (the baby) want you to do? Nurse him!

What would Jesus (the adult) advise? Nurse the baby!

-Angela

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
If I attended church, I would most certianly nurse my baby. Would it be rude to give a crying ff baby a bottle? Not at all-I think that nursing mama's and babies deserve the same treatment by all the Joe Schmoes out there- ykwim? Anyway why would GOD give us these tools, not to use them?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I nurse in a Christian church's Sanctuary 5 days a week. I am not Christian, but my DS goes to a Christian daycare, and everyday I visit him at lunch to nurse him. The sanctuary is the quietest place there, it is very peaceful. However, I have nursed in my own service at my place of worship during the sermon when DS was young, and it made me feel very close to the Spirit of Life.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
I am Catholic and I nurse during Mass almost every week. Jesus was breastfed, I'm sure He would be fine with it.
If you feel uncomfortable doing it due to the people around you, you could cover up a little. Normally when I NIP I don't care what shows, I'm not exactly modest, but at church, I tend to use a blanket (not over baby's head, but to cover my belly), just because everyone is kind of right on top of each other.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Jesus was nursed! And more than likely NIP'd too. Mary didn't put her life on hold while He was a nursling. Stuck him in a Sling probably and went on with her life, Went to market went to Temple, Nursed anywhere she was. There Was No Similac in Biblical Times.

So if anyone gives you heck for nursing in church just tell them that.

Hmm...I think the Christian mommies who attend BFIng intolerant churches should make up a T-shirt saying "Jesus was Breastfed" on the back "Good enough for the Savior, Good enough for my kid"
Heck Mary had a UC too.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114

Hmm...I think the Christian mommies who attend BFIng intolerant churches should make up a T-shirt saying "Jesus was Breastfed" on the back "Good enough for the Savior, Good enough for my kid"
a little OT, but........
There is a car I've seen around my town that has a bumper sticker that says "Jesus was cloth-diapered" I want it!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I'm a firm believer in "Jesus was breastfed and would want me to nurse my baby where ever I am, even in Church!" We attend a Catholic Church and when dd was younger, I'd go to the "cry room" because it was just easier, plus she was SUPER distractable from an early age, so this way I didn't flash anyone. Now that she's older, I just nurse her in the pew.

Also, all the ff moms at my Chuch feed during Mass if need be, so why can't I?

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyJulian89
a little OT, but........
There is a car I've seen around my town that has a bumper sticker that says "Jesus was cloth-diapered" I want it!
He might have been Cloth diapered, but he also probably was EC'd as well. Cloth back then was rather difficult to come by and make, hence why they went through meticulous measures to tend to and care for their clothing. It took ALOT of effort to make cloth, as well as sewing clothing. So I rather doubt diapers were used very often. Mabe in Temple and other places where it wasn't convinient to hold babe out of the sling to do his/her business, but at home, outside, even at market....probably EC'd..

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
My church provides rocking chairs in the back of the sanctuary to make mamas more comfy.
When I first started going there, someone told me they were for nursing--but in a nice way, not in a "don't nurse in the regular pews" way. I nurse in the rockers, as do other mamas, but I would also nurse in the pew if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I nurse in church too
There is a separate room with speakers for moms who are more comfortable in private, but I've never been made to feel weird for nursing in the sanctuary.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I sit in the back row of pews that are up against the wall. The only time it's ever really noticed is if DD is nursing during the passing of the peace. A few older gentlemen have come over to shake my hand and say, "Peace be with you" and abruptly stopped when they realized I was nursing
!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do nurse during church, but I also worry about it being distracting, so I usually cover up with a blanket. It's pretty soggy where we live, so I know people think I'm crazy that I nurse ds during the service at all.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
He might have been Cloth diapered, but he also probably was EC'd as well. Cloth back then was rather difficult to come by and make, hence why they went through meticulous measures to tend to and care for their clothing. It took ALOT of effort to make cloth, as well as sewing clothing. So I rather doubt diapers were used very often. Mabe in Temple and other places where it wasn't convinient to hold babe out of the sling to do his/her business, but at home, outside, even at market....probably EC'd..
I can only imagine what the bumpers should really say....
- Jesus was part-time cloth diapered
- Mary ECed Jesus- No way mainstreamers would get it

Way
. I'd definitely nurse in church. I bottlefed my breastmilk the few times we've gone to services, but I would've nursed if we could as it's way more convenient.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

I have a problem with any "house of God" that wouldn't welcome a nursing child.

-Angela
I agree with you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts