Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to Texas and we were just stationed in the El Paso area. I have 2 kids I breast fed the first until she self weened at 17 months and I am currently breastfeeding our second daughter who is 13 months. I have noticed a sad trend since i have been here since December 2009, Not many women breastfeed and if they do you don't see it. If you talk about it you get dirty looks and doing it in public is just as bad. Also Cloth Diapering is completely unheard of.<br><br>
My question is What is wrong with this place? Is there any moms out there in El Paso who breastfeed?<br><br>
I asked at the WIC office and they said the average mom doesn't breastfeed after 3 months.<br>
I feel alone!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My husband is also stationd in the El Paso area and I can't really say that I've had the same experience when it comes to breastfeeding. My daughter nursed till 19 months and I never had anyone give me dirty looks or say anything when I nursed her in public, even when she was over a year old. I also know several women who breastfed and at least one other woman who nursed past a year.<br><br>
Now I agree that cloth diapering is unheard of. I even asked at the "natural" baby boutique if they ever considered carrying cloth diapers and they looked at my like I had just sprouted an extra head and asked if people really still did that. Babywearing is something else that I saw very, very little of and got some strange looks for.<br><br>
It doesn't seem to be a very crunchy area to live in though. But I've never lived in a crunchy area so I've gotten used to being the oddball.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I believe they have a Baby Cafe in El Paso.

·
Registered
166 Posts
<p>I realize that this is an old thread, but do you still live in el paso? We're moving there in May and I'm nursing my 2 year old and we cloth diaper. </p>

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a baby cafe at the texas tech campus downtown. We cloth diaper too and a few people from our church do. It's not common here

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
<p>Suuuper old thread, but there's also a LLL here. I'm trying to get my butt in gear to start a meeting at Maternidad La Luz. I live in a bubble of clinic and home and not much else, but I would agree that cloth diapers and breastfeeding are not the norm here. One of my classmates had a baby recently, and you'd think that midwives would be pretty crunchy, but she didn't use cloth. This is a weird city. It's awesome in so many ways, but so, so unlike anywhere I've ever lived! </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts