Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you read that correctly. There is breastfeeding in Vogue magazine. The new issue (August) has a photo on page 292 of model Angela Lindvall nursing her toddler son. Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
I dont read Vogue. But that sure is cool news!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joannarachel
Beautiful picture of the baby! (the mama needs to put about 20-30 pounds on her frame though
)
Sorry to pick on you, but I have seen this in a few threads lately. Why is it any more OK to tell a thin woman to put on weight than to tell a fat woman to lose it?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not just that she's bfing but a toddler. This makes my day

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82
Sorry to pick on you, but I have seen this in a few threads lately. Why is it any more OK to tell a thin woman to put on weight than to tell a fat woman to lose it?
Because I doubt she's that thin naturally. That degree of thin-ness is more likely because of the arbitary and predominantly male-driven standard of beauty, in which we have to deny our feminity (curves, breasts, hips, post-baby chub), in order to be found attractive. Gets the feminist in me pissed off!
:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Nice picture, thanks!

Quote:
Why is it any more OK to tell a thin woman to put on weight than to tell a fat woman to lose it?
Good question. I have to say though that her arms do look unhealthily thin to me, like there's no muscle there.
OTOH, obviously there must be or she'd not be able to hold her child!

Different people come in all different shapes, but there is a most healthy range, whether we are comfortable hearing about it or not.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiri
Nice picture, thanks!

Good question. I have to say though that her arms do look unhealthily thin to me, like there's no muscle there.
OTOH, obviously there must be or she'd not be able to hold her child!

Different people come in all different shapes, but there is a most healthy range, whether we are comfortable hearing about it or not.
Muscle tone is often Photoshopped out, as is atleast ten pounds.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joannarachel
Because I doubt she's that thin naturally. That degree of thin-ness is more likely because of the arbitary and predominantly male-driven standard of beauty, in which we have to deny our feminity (curves, breasts, hips, post-baby chub), in order to be found attractive. Gets the feminist in me pissed off!
:

I agree. Most women in my family *are* naturally that thin and we try to put on weight so we don't look anorexic. We have a family hx of thyroid issues. But everytime I see someone that thin, I still would rather see them put on some weight.

I just hate to see everyone strive to be stick thin when it is so unhealthy.

But YAY! for breastfeeding in Vogue! I am proud of that mama! I bet that she takes pretty good care of herself if she is breastfeeding, anywho. But that's just my opinion. I wish we saw more "role models" breastfeeding or promoting other ideals that are healthy for women. Someone needs to send that model and editor a thank you card from us.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts