Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shhh...no one is supposed to know that Henri still has milky. According to Henri, at least! He won't nurse around other people sometimes! DH had a buddy over and I asked Henri if he wanted to nurse and he said "NO! NO MILKY!" and blushed and acted offended that I even brought it up! He does this more and more lately! So now its this big secret thing that Henri only does with Mama when no one else is around. He'll even kick DH out of the room sometimes! Why is he doing this????

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
How funny! How old is he? I wonder if it's just a process thing in his mind--like DS currently will only eat part of a bagel if I mock putting it in the toaster first. Maybe getting you alone is a process right now for him.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
lol.

I recently learned my 4.5 year old won't nurse except at home... we were at a friends the other day and he was cranky so I asked if he wanted to nurse. "Uh, nooooooo mommy, we don't have hee-tees 'cept at home!" he said to me with a great big roll of the eyes. As if.
Not that I'm not okay with that arrangement.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I've never had an older nursling, but to me it sounds like natural modesty about something that seems private and personal to him. It also sounds like a tiny first step towards a natural self-weaning, to me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ahh it sounds like your son is old enough not to want to be considered a baby.

My daughter's nearly 3 and she doesn't do that yet, but my 4 year old did in the months leading up to his 4th birthday. He weaned on his 4th birthday, leaving the milk for his sissy (who was a year old).

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
Maybe He is feeling uncomfortable with it??? I can't imagine why though. How old is he?? Does he see his peers not bfing?? Maybe it's just private time with mama?
He is almost 2.5 years old. He's never seen another kid his age breastfeeding, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm tandeming him with his 6 month old baby sister. Maybe it does have something to do with time with me, but lately he seems like he's trying to be more "assertive". He's been using phrases like "No, I don't want it" and things like that. A pp mentioned it could be a small step towards weaning, which might be possible but he still nurses 6+ times a day. And he doesn't even do this all the time, either. I nursed him in front of everyone at Thanksgiving, and the other night when I had a gig he nursed as soon as I had my coat off and my aunt was sitting right there. Kids are weird sometimes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.