Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas,

my daughter is breastfeeding well but really likes to grab and pinch my other nipple. she has tried this since i can remember and i have been training her not to do it since i can remember. lately it has gotten so annoying that i warn her with either "hands down" or "stop touching" and if she does it again i stop breastfeeding. i know she knows what "hands down" means because sometimes she'll tell herself hands down and stop touching the other nipple. but most of the time she'll insist on doing it. this is very frustrating, it feels like inappropriate behavior especially since she knows now that i don't like it.
: if you have any advice or insight into why she is doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

edited to add: i stop breastfeeding for only like 10 seconds. she cries and then i let her nurse again and usually she stops the behavior. if not i stop that breastfeeding session all together and get her involved in another activity.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
That *is* annoying, isn't it? It can seem cute when they have tiny little hands, but as time goes on...
:

What have you tried so far? Have you tried a nursing necklace? DD actually had a pacifier when she was young and as she got "older" (18 months, or so) she actually liked holding the pacifier and playing with the nipple. Could that work.

I also kept my arm across my nipple to protect it. Will DD let you hold her hand?

You can always say, "No" and put her down when she starts. It sounds like she has a real habit formed, so it might take a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.