Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having knee surgery in mid-Sept (torn ACL). It takes about an hour and I'll be under general anesthesia. According to kellymom, you can breastfeed as soon as the effects of the general anesthesia wear off so I was thinking I didn't have anything to worry about. But then, a friend who has had this surgery said he took pain meds for several days after it. I hate taking meds but I don't know what to expect.

Does anyone have experience with this surgery (or something similar) and breastfeeding? Should I postpone it? (I really want to start the recovery process because it takes a long time) My DS is 13 mo. and nurses maybe 5-8 times over the day/night.

OK thanks in advance!!!

· Registered
3,206 Posts
There are plenty of pain meds that are compatible with breastfeeding. Just ask before surgery, find out what they want you to take, make sure it is breastfeeding friendly. I would also double check what anesthesia they will give you. They are sure to say you need to pump and dump and it will be reassuring if you know the med is okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.