1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is a brand new study, or just newly reported

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-29277,00.html

Quote:
The findings are the latest to come from a ground-breaking study which tracked more than 2500 Western Australian children over the past 16 years.

Babies breastfed for less than six months had a 52 per cent increased risk of mental health problems at two years of age than those children breastfed for longer.

This risk increased to 55 per cent by the age of six and 61 per cent two years later, but had dropped to 37 per cent by age 10.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I don't think it's brand new, though maybe newer...I have heard that before! Interesting!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I don't think it's brand new, though maybe newer...I have heard that before!
the data analysis is new, but the study where the data is based on is "old" because it's a longitudinal study:
http://www.rainestudy.org.au/

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I wasn't sure how recent the study was is because there was recently another study showing children who were breastfed were less likely to become sociopaths.

Nevertheless, this is a nice bit of research on the heels of the IQ studies.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
The reason I wasn't sure how recent the study was is because there was recently another study showing children who were breastfed were less likely to become sociopaths.
there's another one that is quite new (from august) about resilience against psychosocial stress, looking at the relationship between parental divorce and anxiety. it's about longterm effects too.
http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...dc.2006.096826

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I didn't read the article, but the very notion that my mother could've helped prevent (if even to a small degree) some of mine and my brother's mental/emotional issues makes me want to sob uncontrollably.
We have both suffered (and continue to suffer) so much...it didn't have to be this way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjuniverse View Post
I didn't read the article, but the very notion that my mother could've helped prevent (if even to a small degree) some of mine and my brother's mental/emotional issues makes me want to sob uncontrollably.
We have both suffered (and continue to suffer) so much...it didn't have to be this way.
I can't quickly find an online link to the actual study, but it sounds like there's a link only for particular aspects of mental health "The team at the Telethon Institute for Child Health Research in Perth found that breastfed children had particularly lower rates of delinquent, aggressive and anti-social behaviour, and overall were less depressed, anxious or withdrawn."

I don't know what your family's issues are, but this study doesn't seem to touch the serious, persistent types of mental illness such as major depression, Bipolar, and schizophrenia. It also doesn't address issues like ADHD.

While there is nothing more I'd like to see than a way to prevent mental illness, it's not as simple as everyone breastfeeding.

And, as far as that BF/IQ study goes, it's pretty flawed and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Another reason I should have been breastfed.
:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjuniverse View Post

we will never know which parameters of our life would now be different if our mothers would have breastfed us (longer).
i think it's important not to mix up objective statistics and subjective individual cases. we all know bottlefed children who are very healthy and fit and breastfed children who are ill and sick. there's no monocausal connection between this two facts. statistical data says nothing about the life of an individual person. preventing risks is based only on probabilities, and you always can be a part of those % where the statistics are wrong. don't take studies and research too seriously, and don't take it personally. scientific data results are dead, abstract figures, and you are a living, unique and valuable human being.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts