Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i apologize if this has already been covered in a previous post, but any suggestions for ways to nurse on the move? my lovely boy is 6 weeks old & is doing a wonderful job of eating lots & lots, but i'm wondering if someday i can do things like dishes & laundry while he's nursing? i use a stretchy wrap & a front carrier (a kind with him against my body & not hanging from his hips)...tried a sling, but found him to slump into a ball too much (hanging onto it for when he's older). anyone want to share what they do? thanks!

*erin*

·
Registered
710 Posts
What kind of front carrier do you use? I use an ergo and I FINALLY figured out how to nurse in it, and I wish that I would have worked on it earlier because it's so convenient. Anyway, all I do is loosen the strap on the side I want to nurse on and guide dd's head to the breast. If I'm in public, I put up the sunhood, if not, I don't. However, it's not completely hands free for me because I'm a bit too well endowed to make that possible. I haven't been able to get dd to nurse in my sling yet.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only thing that's ever worked for me was a homemade wrap that isn't stretchy at all. It's a thin cotton fabric, and has a little diagonal give, but isn't stretchy. You can adjust the baby to be exactly where he needs to be without worrying about gravity moving him out of reach.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does feel like he's probably too young to nurse on the move very easily, but i hear about sling nursing, so i thought i'd check to see what others did. i do enjoy nursing, but feel like lately it's all i do! the front carrier is a wilkinet (someone gave it to us here in NZ- i think it's british), but i think he'd nurse best in cradle.

thanks for the input!

*erin*

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Breastfeeding in a sling was hard for us. Dd did better upright like in a mei tai. BUT I think it's hard to nurse in any carrier before they have excellent head control- 3-4 months minimum.

-Angela

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been able to breastfeed both my twins (not simultaneously) while they were in a sling. I've used a ring sling and a pouch and for now the pouch is a little easier since it's a more snug fit.

While I can't reach into the bottom of the washer with a babe latched on, I can drop laundry in and have been able to fold clothes, do dishes, sweep, mop, feed cats and dogs. I have to squat rather than bend over much of the time and occasionally we lose the latch if the babe is getting sleepy and not holding on tight, but it works. I will say, I do all my chores much more slowly and carefully with a babe in sling whether we're nursing or not.

BTW they're one month old today so no real head control yet. It has taken some practice and patience. I'd love to figure out how to nurse them tandem while in slings, but that might be really wishful thinking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by torio View Post
I've been able to breastfeed both my twins (not simultaneously) while they were in a sling. I've used a ring sling and a pouch and for now the pouch is a little easier since it's a more snug fit.

While I can't reach into the bottom of the washer with a babe latched on, I can drop laundry in and have been able to fold clothes, do dishes, sweep, mop, feed cats and dogs. I have to squat rather than bend over much of the time and occasionally we lose the latch if the babe is getting sleepy and not holding on tight, but it works. I will say, I do all my chores much more slowly and carefully with a babe in sling whether we're nursing or not.

BTW they're one month old today so no real head control yet. It has taken some practice and patience. I'd love to figure out how to nurse them tandem while in slings, but that might be really wishful thinking.

Good luck!
Isn't that what you are always supposed to do? Don't they always say that to preserve your back you should bend at the knees, not bend the back?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
also-- once he is older he may start nursing less often and quicker (more efficiently) so you may be able to get more done between nursing sessions.

when dd was little she nursed 40 minutes of every other hour. now its more like 15 minutes max, every 2-3 hours (sometimes even 4 hours but i usually offer before then)

good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.