Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a few questions and worries about nursing, milk supply and TTC. DH and I recently had a baby, and I am exclusively bfing (no pumping, no bottles).

We would like to give our dd a sibling, but my Dr said to wait at least 8 months before trying. Now, he didn't give any reason for that number, except that it would take my body that long to "heal fully". I'm not one to completely trust the medical establishment, so I really question if that was an arbitrary number or not. Does this sound right? We would like to start ttc sooner than later, as it took us 5 years and a m/c to have our dd, and neither of us is getting any younger (late 30's). There is also the question as to when af would even return, but I know that no one can really answer that one, as it really depends on my body.

For me, the bigger concern has to do with my milk supply and pregnancy. I have heard that your supply can drop or cease while pregnant, and I am concerned about dd not getting enough milk. Would it be better to wait until she was a certain age before ttc? What age? Should I start pumping? Would she even take a bottle after all that time?

Thanks, and I look forward to the responses!
:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
There has actually been research done indicating the "ideal" timeframe for pregnancy spacing...Here is a link. Up to you whether to think it's enough of a concern. Certainly plenty of women give birth to children quite closely spaced and everyone concerned is healthy. It's something, I do not doubt, that varies quite a bit from woman to woman. I personally don't handle pregnancy incredibly well, and so I know I need to space them. Probably could have stood to do so more than I did, in fact, when I stop to think just how sick I was this last time around, with three pregnancies in four years.

From a breastfeeding standpoint...I have nursed both elder children through their next sibling's pregnancy, and have never completely lost my milk, but there has always been a distinct drop around 4 months or so. So I try to take that into consideration. My year-old babes have all still been getting most of their nutrition from breastmilk. I wouldn't want to have a tiny supply and a year-old child at the same time if I could avoid it. But again, it's very much a case of your mileage varying. I don't know of any women who didn't have a drop in supply, but the severity varies by woman, and there's really no way to know beforehand what your experience will be.

Even outside of the drop in supply, you will most likely have to deal with nipple pain in the first trimester at least. For me it lessened in the second trimester but redoubled in the third. I've not met anyone who didn't have to deal with at least some pain. A lot of women find it unbearable & so have to wean.

All more stuff to take into consideration. One last thing: how long it took you to get pregnant the first time isn't necessarily an indication of how long it will take you the next time. I wanted my first two to be about 3 or so years apart (had pipe dreams of having #1 potty trained by the time #2 came along; I missed it by about 6 months), and started TTC when #1 was 13 months because it'd taken me 18 months of trying the first time. Imagine my surprise when I got pregnant within two cycles of trying!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your thoughts and the link! I actually hadn't even heard about the nipple pain.
My gut feeling rigt now is to wait until dd is around 9 mo. old, and see how things are going then. But we have some time to figure it out still...

Any other mamas want to share their thoughts??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts