Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are local and can come please email me <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> to confirm so I can get a head count to Rep. Maloney's aide by Monday, May 6th. With a new party and a woman heading the committee that would hold a hearing on the bill, we have the best chance we have had in years for passage. Last time I organized this was two years ago and we had 100+ mothers attend. I would like to get at least double that this time. Pass it on to all the folks you know in your tribe and other mother's lists ASAP!<br><br>
Lorrie Leigh<br><br>
NURSING MOTHERS TO BREASTFEED ON CAPITOL HILL<br><br>
Rep. Maloney Hosts PRE-MOTHER’S DAY NURSE-IN<br>
To Promote Right to Breastfeed<br><br>
WASHINGTON - Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) will host a Capitol Hill “nurse-in” on Thursday, May 10, 2007 to reintroduce her Breastfeeding Promotion Act, a bill that would protect the rights of breastfeeding mothers who return to the workplace after childbirth, and the health and well-being of their children.<br><br>
The Breastfeeding Promotion Act:<br>
•amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect breastfeeding by new mothers<br>
•provides tax incentives for businesses that establish private, lactation areas in the workplace<br>
•provides for a performance standard for breast pumps<br>
•allows breastfeeding equipment to be tax deductible for families<br><br>
Currently, 38 states and Puerto Rico have laws on their books protecting the rights of women to breastfeed. The Breastfeeding Promotion Act would move beyond the patchwork of state laws and establish a national protection for breastfeeding mothers.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am getting a very light response from folks planning to attend so far. It has me worried because two years ago I had nearly 50 respondents at this point after the announcements went out. Let me know if you are coming!!!<br><br>
Lorrie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts