Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am putting this here because it pertains to toddlers and i thought that i might find more responses then over in books.

I am trying to find books for my toddler that have breastfeeding, slinging, and also books that have a sibling attending a new babies birth. they don't all have to be in the same book of course but some first hand suggestions would be nice. it seems i am always turnign books away because of the proliferation of bottlefeeding and other practices i don't want to advertise to my child.

thanks

courtney

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
:

Can't wait to see what people recommend. I'd love a little literary help to introduce all this to DS before DD arrives in March. We just don't have little babies in our circle right now!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The Sears' have two books about pregnancy and the new baby for kids. They have pictures of bfing and slinging, as well as co-sleeping. (A bit off-topic, but I *love* the beginning of their _You Can Go to the Potty_, because when they talk about how babies are cared for, it's like they're writing specifically about ds's life! The co-sleeper is even the same pattern as ours...) I'm not sure, there might be a picture of the dad giving a bottle of ebm, but I believe it's presented as being "later on" (not with a tiny baby), and only when mom isn't available. The older siblings don't attend the birth, though. (The parents leave and go to a building marked "birth center," I believe. The siblings are shown with friends/family in the meantime.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...books&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...Fencoding=UTF8

I was also pleasantly surprised by one of this series of books (we're still waiting for the other to be delivered):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/085...=UTF8&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/085...Fencoding=UTF8

I ordered them because ds has another book by this illustrator and really likes it, and because I liked that they're wordless, so you can explain and talk about things without any potentially clunky writing getting in the way.
Anyway, though, I was happy that the new baby is breastfed twice in 14 pages, and the dad carries him/her in a front carrier. (It's also nice that the dad makes dinner, with help from the older sibling.)

HTH!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also watching this thread to see what other suggestions come up.

We have several books on the topic-- so far the one I like best is The New Baby at Your House by Joanna Cole. Pluses: all photos (it's nice to see pictures of realistic looking newborns along with older babies), multicultural, many different families portrayed, shows breastfeeding. Maybe minuses: also shows dad and big sister giving a bottle, and mom goes to the hospital while dad is shown with the toddler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
LLL has some good kids books... Otherwise, On Mama's Back is one that we got from the library not long ago. Welcome With Love (the US title) is good.. Runa's Birth has great pics...
There are more that we like, but I can't think of them now. There is one, the title is Backpack Baby... something like that.. I'll try to remember

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
well, we didnt have any books for ds when i was pregnant with dd. He was two years and 3 months when she was born. I think any preparation I tried to give him in that way would have been right over his head, he really did fine with a new baby. Its later on when they move around that they have a hard time (in my experience.). I did more of weaning off all the things we did together all the time, I did the best i could to make it ok for Daddy to do for him everything... from brushing his teeth to putting him to bed. This way if i needed to nurse during that time , he would be ok with dh doing it. And he was, like i said, fine with the new baby thing.. it was later......

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Watching too...Dd weaned at 13-14 months and doesn't remember bf....She gives dolls bottles and honestly has not seen any one bf....So we will be going to LLL and this will be a start I tolerate her giving dolls bottles, but it makes me feel I've neglected her somehow....ALL of cousins were bottle fed So I want her to understand the right way to feed a baby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.