Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

My girlfriend is due in November and I'm looking for some items to put in a gift basket for her. She really wants to breastfeed and I want her to succeed. Here's what I've thought of so far:

Breast pads- I have disposable ones, but I would like to also include a cloth pair that are really absorbant
Lansinoh ointment
Mother's milk tea
A copy of Nursing Mother, Working Mother-unfortunately, she only has two months of maternity leave

Any other ideas? TIA!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If she's kind of new to the whole idea of bf, a copy of Janet Tomaso's "So That's What They're For" (rev. 3rd addition) would be a perfect book. I like it way better than Sears or LLL; it's less preachy, more down to earth, encouraging, and funny, too.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Bottles of water
Granola Bars / Oatmeal Bars
A good, relaxing book to read while she nurses
One of those "U" shaped travel pillows so she can nap reclining w/the baby nursing on her lap
The phone number to a local LLL

Great gift idea!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Also-not to imply or scare her that she might have troubles-but maybe a convenient list of phone #s for LC in her area that she can call if she needs to. I remember being so overwhelmed having so many problems the first week-and getting so upset because I was having so much trouble looking up and finding LC to call...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I have some small gel cold packs that are just the size of either breast, and I love those things. Great nursing bra if you know her size, or a gift cert for one, Glamourmom tank or similair, ummm. Hmm. I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Some pretty nursing tops and/or nursing bras
Cloth breast pads - I have reactions to all the disposables, so i am biased. LOL
Information/schedule of her local LLL (you can find it online) and local LCs.
A pillow - Boppy or BreastFriend - I have both and while the BF was great with a newborn, I liked the Boppy better as he got a little older.

The Lanolin and Mother's Milk are GREAT ideas too

It isn't exactly BFig - but the Sears Baby Book and the Happiest Baby on teh Block books were the BEST shower gifts I got.

·
Registered
939 Posts
just wanted to add

*good* milk storage bags - many of them suck and require twisty tie closure which leads to a lot of spilled milk. THe best are the lansinoh bags. They have a doubel ziplock feature which is wonderful. Plsu they are sterile and have these tabby things on top to keep them sterile until you need to use them. They fit in disposable bottles too. Hard to find though - I have only foudn them in Target. More readily available and easier to find are the Gerber bags, also ziplock. Not as nice and slightly more expensive but you can get them in CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, etc.

Information on GOOD pumps like the AMeda purely yours or the Medela (I like the AMeda better personally) There are places online that sell it for only $150, not $300!

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is my favorite book for nursing moms. I LOVE it because it has SO much information for all kinds of questions and concerns. Not to mention it was published (written?) by La Leche League. You can pretty much guarantee there is nothing but awesome info in there. I have read every edition in existence.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I never had much luck with the storage bags, but I loved the Medela 2.7 oz. storage bottles for the freezer... if she''ll be using a Medela when she goes back to work, they might be a good addition...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks ladies for all the good ideas! I really like the idea of a LLL membership; I was going to take her to a meeting with me anyway when she was off from work. I can get some recommendations from the leaders for LCs. Naturegirl7, I LOVE the lansinoh storage bags. I happened to buy them by chance and wouldn't use any other! I'm so excited to put this together! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is my favorite book for nursing moms. I LOVE it because it has SO much information for all kinds of questions and concerns. Not to mention it was published (written?) by La Leche League. You can pretty much guarantee there is nothing but awesome info in there. I have read every edition in existence.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturegirl7
*good* milk storage bags - many of them suck and require twisty tie closure which leads to a lot of spilled milk. THe best are the lansinoh bags. They have a doubel ziplock feature which is wonderful. Plsu they are sterile and have these tabby things on top to keep them sterile until you need to use them. They fit in disposable bottles too. Hard to find though - I have only foudn them in Target. More readily available and easier to find are the Gerber bags, also ziplock. Not as nice and slightly more expensive but you can get them in CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, etc.
that too. and i buy mine at kroger btw.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
OK, this is completely out in left field, but the one thing I have wished for while nursing is something to put a book or magazine on to read and keep it at eye level -- pretty much a music stand -- but, again, that's pretty far down the list.

My cousin gave me a box of Lansinoh pads at my shower and now that I've tried other brands, i see why. The best! So, I echo the other ideas above... pads, a Boppy (although I don't use mine too much because I have to recline while nursing and keep dd at a funny angle), The Baby Book and lots of burp rags. I don't use mine so much for burping, but to stick on the other boob while it leaks all over the place...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs_BK
...and lots of burp rags. I don't use mine so much for burping, but to stick on the other boob while it leaks all over the place...
Oh, yes, ditto--I really needed these in the beginning. We had a lot of beautiful burp rags, but for this purpose, I ended up using only cloth diapers (Chinese Prefolds)... they were the best when I was leaking all over the place and didn't get nasty like the other "beautiful" ones.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by naturegirl7
*good* milk storage bags - many of them suck and require twisty tie closure which leads to a lot of spilled milk. THe best are the lansinoh bags. They have a doubel ziplock feature which is wonderful. Plsu they are sterile and have these tabby things on top to keep them sterile until you need to use them.
LOVE these

·
Registered
902 Posts
Haven't read all the posts, so I may repeat:

Water bottle
Snacks
a Journal & Pen
maybe a book to read while nursing, or a copy of mothering mag
Urp cloths

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.