Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else currently breastfeeding while pregnant? How is it going? I am 16 weeks and planned to nurse through and then tandem with my 17 mo. However, it has become excruciatingly painful and my supply has just dropped so I've found myself cutting back and nursing just 2-3x in a 24 hour period (he was previously BFing at least 5 times in a 24 hour period) because it's so unbearable to me. Is there anything I can do to try and regain supply except fluids? At this point, when it is dropping for hormonal reasons, do I need/would it even help to nurse more often despite the pain or is it no longer demand-based? Is anyone else going through this now? Most information on BFing while pregnant is just about how it's safe but might hurt. Yes, it HURTS, so how are you handling it?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I am only 4 weeks and 5 days but I am nursing my 23 month old and plan to continue for as long as I can. No advice but lots of love. Just keep doing what you can .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am currently 10 weeks and this is the second time I've nursed through a pregnancy. Eventually your supply is just going to take a hit and then it will transition to having some colostrum in it. When that happens don't be surprised if your nursling's poop gets softer.

My supply is hanging on better than it did last time. I think in part because this time I stayed away from the b6. It is known to lower supply so you might want to see how much is in your prenatal (I am currently too nauseous to get mine down and I'm not using the b6 therapeutically for nausea this time).

The only things I know that would be safe to try are upping your fluids and maybe eating a bunch of oats.

Good luck. I've been having to grit my teeth to get through it. But I want him to wean on his own. I'm really hoping he weans before the next one comes, I did not like tandeming my last set, I could not handle the older child compared to the newborn. Felt like I was nursing a giant. :serious:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am currently tandem nursing a five week old and a 2.5 year old. I had pain at first during pregnancy that turned into aversion and now (postpartum) is just really bad aversion. I am just muscling through it. Distraction used to work and now I am doing a combo of watching the clock (I can usually nurse at least 10 minutes), hyper-focusing on nursing my toddler (watching her nurse, snuggling her, caressing her hair, etc), and distraction (iphone, book). When it was just pain I could breath through it but now that it's aversion I am desperate for a cure-all. I drink a lot of water. I'm quiting coffee next week and my supply is great. I need to get more sleep (lmao). All things that are supposed to help.

I would just read a book while I was nursing and that worked wonders to get me to forget the pain. Water helps too. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts