1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/inde...astfeeding.xml

Yet ANOTHER benefit for mom!!

Quote:
BARCELONA, Spain, June 15 (UPI) -- Breastfeeding for 13 months or more can reduce the mother's risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, Swedish researchers reported Friday.

Comparable use of oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy showed no significant effect on the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, said Dr. Mitra Keshavarz, of Malmo Hospital University, Sweden.

The findings add to the "growing body of evidence in favor of breastfeeding and its positive health implications -- this time demonstrating its protective benefits for the mother," Keshavarz said.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You know, I have an autoimmune disease very much like Rheumatoid Arthritis, called Behcet's Disease. It's very difficult to manage. One fear I had in breastfeeding was that I might suffer a nipple detatchment, so I said I wouldn't do it. But then a friend offered to donate milk for us, and I knew that if she would do it, I had to do it for my own baby.

Instead of causing a detachment, it delayed my worsening post-partum symptoms by at least 3 months. And I suspect that I would not be doing as well as I am without continuing to breastfeed.

Then only downside is that my hair is very frizzy, and I don't know what to put on it (other than a hat!) But it's been overwhelmingly worth the effort. We are all very happy with the results, and ds is SOOOO healthy and happy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.