Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read an article last week about breastfeeding being a natural pain killer for newborns. I wish I had the article handy..any ways I was thinking why does it only apply to newborns.
Well over the weekend my almost 19 month old fell off a chair and she of course nursed to calm down. Well after a bit she stopped and was about to get off my lap when she whined again and started nurisng again. SHe did this a few more times and then she was all better. So I'm thinking, pain relief from breastfeeding doesn't just apply to newborns. How cool is that, that breastmilk is a natural pain reliever!!!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Wow, I thought it was just calming because of the sucking and cuddling and touch, I had no idea it was chemically a pain reliever as well! That's awsome, where did you read this? And of course it's not just for newborns, it's just that 70% of newborns in the US get some and only like 30% still get it more than 6 months, so people think of it for newborns only

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I know that suckling is a pain reliever, and I know that breastmilk contains a calming agent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When my DD had to have blood taken from her finger for lead testing at 12 months, I asked the lab tech if I could nurse during the procedure. At first she kind of reflexively said no, then she thought about it and said sure, I could try it. I think it made a huge difference in DD's experience. In the past she has hated even having her nails clipped and got very upset at vaxes (
: ), however while the tech was squeezing blood out of her finger into vials she just whimpered a bit and was PERFECTLY fine and calm the minute it was over. In comparison, there had been a baby having the same thing done right before us and he screamed and screamed for the longest time...you could hear him in the waiting area and DH had to take DD out so she wouldn't hear him. Anyway, the tech was soooo happy with how it had gone afterward. She said she was really impressed that DD had been so calm and relaxed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts