Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone have any ideas of something I could whip up in a blender and put in a sippy cup for my mostly breastfed 1 year old?

I have election judge training and will be working both the primary and general election, so I need some ideas of what to give him during those hours. He eats some solid foods, but still loves his milk and will not drink thawed breastmilk whatsoever. I have frozen milk that is going to waste.

I wanted to make the homemade formula from the winston A price website, but can not locate the ingredients up where I live without a GREAT deal of driving and gas wasting...like 100 miles to get everyting I need.

I was thinking something with coconut milk? Hmmmm...any ideas? I'd give him my berry banana coconut smoothies, but it doesn't go through his sippy cup. I don't want to waste the money on a can of formula either, as he might not drink it.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
With over a year old you could give rice milk or soy milk or something along those lines. I work part time and while I'm at work James drinks Enriched soy milk.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Hey if you're making smoothies why don't you add the frozen breast milk into it?? I bet with all the other stuff your dc would drink it and then have the advantages of a "breast milk" smoothie. Just add fruit to that doesn't have a lot of seeds and add some ice and blend it all up. You might play around with adding orange juice too but I'm not sure how that would mix with the milk...cause doesn't citrus stuff spoil milk?

My ds likes those yobaby yogurt smoothies. They're organic but they do have added sugar. He loves them so much they are actually his "dessert" every day.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
We're planning on using goat's milk to replace formula. DH was raised on it, and we love the stuff, and its easy to digest. Now if only we can find a goat farmer. We'd prefer to get it fresh.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I used to train election officials!
Hope your training is as fun as the ones I did.

Anyway, my DD is 14 months old and if she's going to be with daddy for a couple-three hours without me he gives her soy milk. Edensoy has these little juice-box style containers with a straw, it's organic and something about it is special (extra Omega-3's?) - anyway, that's what we buy at Whole Foods for these occasions, or else he gets her a small cup of organic soymilk from Starbucks warmed to 100 degrees.

That's the only "milk" she will drink - she doesn't like cow's milk or rice milk. Never tried coconut milk but I hate the stuff if it isn't majorly sweetened, so I can't imagine she'd be a fan. Smoothies are a good idea with any "milk" product, or breastmilk. (I can't pump, almost nothing comes out even though she obviously gets lots of milk while nursing, so this isn't an option for me.)

And depending on how long you're going to be gone, dc may be just fine with water in a sippy and solid food. DD is only now starting to eat real "meals" of solid food but when she was younger she would eat more than usual if she was with Daddy and I wasn't there for on-demand num nums.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Do you have the link for the homemade formula? Someone else suggested I look at it but I cant the darned thing!! Thanks!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I think I'd take the frozen breastmilk and add something to disguise the flavor- like maple syrup or concentrated fruit juice.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
I used to train election officials!
Hope your training is as fun as the ones I did.

I wish! I hope it is better this year. Last time I went it was soooooo boring! Then again, the only people who do the election judge thing up here are really old ladies and a few men. I was the youngest person in the class by decades.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now I feel dumb! Why didn't I think about just adding something to the breastmilk! Duh!
:

Thanks for all the great ideas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts