Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I think my
: is messing up my Google-fu, I can't find what I want. Anyone have any good, easy to read links on how breastmilk helps prevent NEC in premature babies? Preferably things that aren't preachy, just very matter-of-fact.

I know it's out there...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try these -

Barlow B et al. 1974. An experimental study of acute neonatal
enterocolitis: the importance of breast milk. J Pediatr Surg 9:587-94
Berseth CL: Effect of early feeding on maturation of the preterm infant's
small intestine, J Pediatr 120:947,1992
Brown EG, Ainbender E, Sweet AY: Effect of feeding stool endotoxins:
possible relationship to necrotizing enterocolitis, Pediatr Res 10:352,
Bradley M. 1986. Breastfeeding and necrotizing enterocolitis. Indiana
Med. October 1986, 859-61.
Gross SJ, Slagle TA: Feeding the Low Birthweight Infant, Clin Perinatol
20:193, 1993
Kleigman R et al. 1979. Necrotizing enterocolitis in infants fed human milk.
J Pediatr 95:450-53
Kleigman R et al. 1980 Human milk feedings and NEC J Pediatr 96:780-81
Kosloske AM. 1984. Pathogenesis and prevention of necrotizing
enterocolitis: a hypothesis based on personal observation and a review
of the literature. Pediatrics 74:1086-91
Lucas A, Colt T. 1990 Breastmilk and neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis.
Lancet 336:1519-1523
Moriarty R et al. 1979 Necrotizing enterocolitis and human milk. J Pediatr
94:295-96
Stevenson D, Graham C. Stevenson J. 1980. Neonatal necrotizing
enterocolitis: 100 new cases. Adv Pediatr 27:319-40

·
Registered
402 Posts
There was a blub on this in Preemie Magazine this month. Unfortunately, they don't put this issue online for all until May. So, I'll type up the blurb for you. Not that it may help you if you're looking for solid factual evidence, but :
::

"The Benefits of Breastmilk," by Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC

Necrotizing Entercolitis (NEC)
Colostrum and breastmilk reduces the permeability of the intestines to infection. Necrotizing Entercolitis (NEC) is an extremely serious infection of the lower gastrointestinal tract that occurs especially in VLBW babies. Its causes are unknown; however, premature babies, whose mothers provide them with their breastmilk, are more protected against developing NEC. With babies born at more than 30 weeks gestation, a 1990 study confirmed NEC was 20 times more common in those fed formula only.

Here is an interesting article from a previous issue, though I sincerely hesitate to send it along...it caused ME some fear, and both my kids are well out of the risk of NEC...so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider carefully before you click the link. I don't want to be the reason a mom suffers an anxiety attack over scientific studies - ok?! And remember, I warned you, please don't hurt the linker!
:
:

http://www.preemiemagazine.com/resou...lts.php?id=165

You will need to register with the site and get your confirmation code from an email.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The linked article was very interesting. Thanks!

Especially this part:

"The March of Dimes is funding four NEC studies, including two on the protective properties of breast milk. Backed by the National Institutes of Health, De Plaen is investigating the premature infant's inflammatory response to NEC, along with potential therapies."

and this part:

"Research momentum is gaining, hopefully bringing a cure closer on the horizon. Recent studies have established a relationship between NEC and medications like Zantac and Indomethacin, used to treat Patent Ductus Arteriosus. Others have shown a decreased incidence in babies whose mothers receive steroids, or who are fed breast milk."

I'm glad to see that there are current studies being conducted and better information emerging!

·
Registered
382 Posts
There are stats in the Sears preemie book if you have it. If not, I will try to look them up tonight and post them. It's not preachy, just the stats.
I remember being very shocked by the greater occurence in formula fed preemies.

It led us to refuse even fortifier until they were tolerating breastmilk feeds for a solid week.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
"Research momentum is gaining, hopefully bringing a cure closer on the horizon. Recent studies have established a relationship between NEC and medications like Zantac and Indomethacin, used to treat Patent Ductus Arteriosus. Others have shown a decreased incidence in babies whose mothers receive steroids, or who are fed breast milk."
That is the part that left me quaking. Ryan was on Zantac like it was water for a very long time. Along with all the bowel problems he had...all those visits and tests with the gastro...

Not to mention at least one mom on this board who is still in the trenches is dealing with the Zantac. I didn't want her to have anything Else to worry about.

I don't know if the PDA medicine is the common one or not, I haven't had any babies who've dealt with that...it could be the only one for all I know about that.

I was just worried that some moms who are still dealing directly with those medications would suffer more anxiety than they already are.

However, the fact that more studies are being done IS very reassuring.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My baby had NEC and while receiving breastmilk. It is more accurate to say the breastmilk reduces the risk rather than prevents NEC. The docs think it could have occurred because of the PDA, the medicine for the PDA or from being septic from the central line. Each element was used to save my son's life at the time so I could not have chosen to not use it, if ykwim.

There were so many things to be scared of and I know I would not have appreciated having information with held from me, especially when I was looking for it. The doctors and nurses did say that the NEC would have been worse if my son had not have had breastmilk and basically the breastmilk saved his life. It was also the best thing in his gut after having NEC.

Perhaps there should be a sticky on NEC and maybe for each preemie issue, so that when someone is going through it with their baby there is a one click source of information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.