Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aidan is almost 5 months old--2 days away. We're not starting solids until he is at least 6 mos, but he is REALLY into mimicking us at meal times. I'm not going to be able to hold him while I eat much longer, because he is pulling food off my plate and trying to grab it off my fork every time I take a bite. I was eating a taco a couple of days ago, and I kept getting sauce on my fingers. Pardon the bad manners, but I would lick the sauce off, then Aidan would grab my fingers, lick them, and smile. He was so proud of himself
. His real obsession is with glasses of drink. He'll pull the glass to his mouth (while I'm holding it for him) and lick the rim. Yesterday, I expressed about a quarter of an ounce of breastmilk into a glass and let him have a sip. I seriously think it made his day.

Here's my question. Do you think it's time for a sippy cup (filled with breastmilk, of course)? He's so interested in what's going on at meal time that I feel bad just holding everything out of his reach. At the same time, I don't want to do anything that will interfere with breastfeeding right now, as he's EBF. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
IMO, if he's so interested in drinking from a cup and so obviously pleased to do it, you are just meeting a developmental need by giving him EBM in a cup.

When our DS became interested in cups (around 6-7 mos.), we pretty much skipped the standard sippy cup (with hard spout and valve) and went straight to the type with a built-in straw. That way we had a more-or-less spillproof cup (which is important when the cup contains precious EBM), but we also avoided the latch problems and oral development issues some folks encounter with sippy cups.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I would offer sips of breastmilk either from a sippy cup or a small glass. You could help him hold it and get a drink. He probably won't take in enough to supplement an actual feeding but it won't hurt to let him experiment with it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I don't think he'd get enough to interfere with nursing and you wouldn't be setting up nipple confusion, so why not?
When DS was about that age he really was interested in our food, but I didn't want to start solids yet (intestinal integrity, allergies and all of that
) so I partially froze some breastmilk into a slush-type consistency and fed him some of that with a spoon. He loved it, plus I think it soothed his teething gums.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStateMama
I partially froze some breastmilk into a slush-type consistency and fed him some of that with a spoon. He loved it, plus I think it soothed his teething gums.
Oooh. I like that idea. I might try that this afternoon. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
the title of your thread made me laugh out loud. I still have to remember that BM means Breastmilk and not something else.

We used water. Breastmilk is something worth crying over when it spills. so we used water. it was mostly target practice anyway. . .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
BlueStateMama, that is a great idea. I will be sure to use it with my next babe to delay solids further. 5 month old babies just want to be a part of everything and be into everything. BM (that's breastmilk, ladies!) slushies is a great idea!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I don't like sippy cups, I would stick with regular cups. I also wouldn't pump and feed him, it just sounds like too much work to me, pumping, dishes, messes, AGHHH. But by this age if it is just water, I'd give him a few sips, even from your big glass.

You could put him in a high chair with a spoon and a small glass of water and let him play.

I have heard shot glasses work well for toddlers.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallory
I don't like sippy cups, I would stick with regular cups. I also wouldn't pump and feed him, it just sounds like too much work to me, pumping, dishes, messes, AGHHH. But by this age if it is just water, I'd give him a few sips, even from your big glass.
: Water is tons of fun at this age.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tine
That way we had a more-or-less spillproof cup (which is important when the cup contains precious EBM), but we also avoided the latch problems and oral development issues some folks encounter with sippy cups.

Wait, people have latch problems later on with sippy cups? Why? Isn't it the same as the difference between nursing and sucking a bottle and that babies with wohm's can learn to do both equally effectively? That was always what I just assumed happened. I never thought sippys cause latch problems. What's the deal????

Meg

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
modern sippy cups are nothing but glorified bottles reall. they have a spout you have to suck on. Many are even have interchangable lids and bottoms so you aren't even using a totally seperate device. People just feel better because we call it a cup. And some sipy cups, because of the way they fit in thier mouth seem to have a bigger potentiial for messing with nursing. the encourage the child to put teeth against the spout to hold it steady while they suck with all thier life. biting the hard plastic does not inhibit the flow of liquid and there is therefore no edterent. we only used sippies with soft spouts which would pinch off the flow of if they bit it (the take and toss ones and Avent) or ones with a base to wide and sloped to promote biting (gerber).

Someone makes a big kid cup, that has more or less the old fashioned siper lid. you drink like a regular cup but there is a recessed lid that controls the flow to the rim of the cup. if that makes any sense.

I do prefer to give my children something travel worthy and lak proof when they are toddlers who barely slow down for a drink. it has never interfered with my childrens latch but then neither did bottles or pacifiers which I also didn't have a problem with and my children often prefered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.