Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My babe is now 5 weeks old. She was very jaundiced after birth and had a bili lamp here at home for a week. She is still very yellow. my ped says its bmilk jaundice, but if it doesn't resolve in a week to call...from my research bmilk jaundice can take up to 12 weeks to resolve...I am afraid if I call the doc in a week she will be subjected to unnecessary tests...but part of me worries that if I don't do anything and something else was wrong...well, that'd be bad. So what are the experiences with bmilk jaundice?? She is eating and pooping normally, but she is still very sleepy. However, her due date was only last friday, so her adjusted age makes her only a week old, so I am hoping that's where the sleepy comes in. She was 5 lbs when we brought her home and she was 7-14 today (in clothes), so she isn't too sleepy to eat! Anyway, bmilk jaundice advice??

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Do you have Dr Sears' book?<br><br>
This is from his <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T029600.asp" target="_blank">website</a>.<br><br>
I find this part to be extra-special good, from the part of the answer that discusses breastmilk and jaundice:<br><br>
"In most cases, it is not necessary to treat jaundice when bilirubin levels are less than 20 milligrams.<br><br>
Most jaundiced infants do not need supplements of water, sugar water or formula.<br><br>
Avoiding breastfeeding for a day or two is not usually necessary to bring down bilirubin levels.<br><br>
Shake off any suggestion that something about your milk is bad for your baby. As long as your baby is otherwise healthy, jaundice is short-lived and harmless. If your baby's jaundice is related to other health problems, your milk is very valuable for him and you should continue to breastfeed."

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Reading further...<br><br>
"In some breastfed babies, bilirubin levels may exceed 20 milligrams and jaundice may last well into the second week of life or longer. It was once thought that this was a distinct type of jaundice, called breast milk jaundice, that was found in a small group of mothers whose milk contained a substance believed to interfere with bilirubin absorption."<br><br>
but<br><br>
"More recent research suggests that high bilirubin levels and prolonged jaundice in otherwise healthy breastfed babies are just normal variants of ordinary physiologic newborn jaundice."

·
Registered
762 Posts
My DS had jaundice when he was born and when we took him to his 8 week check up his ped said he looked a little yellow still, we had another bili done and his levels were not high but not where they should be. Anyway...she said he had breastmilk jaundice and it would not harm him, she said it would go away on it's own to just nurse him as often as I could and it would help get it out of his system quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts