Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 y/o Ds gets 90% of his food tandeming with 7 w/o Dd. I know b'milk changes as they age. Does newborn milk have the right amounts of vitamins and fats that an active toddler needs?

~Nay

ps

I asked this in breastfeeding but no one responded.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good question - I wish I had a definitive answer for you (maybe someone else will...), but I would guess it's fine since both newborn and toddler milk is very high in fat/calories (I can't remember the exact calorie count, but when I checked my milk a few months ago it had more than the standard 20kcal/ounce and I'm feeding a toddler exclusively). They just might have the perfect thing going!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
i have nothing to add other than i'm relieved to know that my ds is not the only 2 yo that still gets 90% of his nutrition from bm. lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was not able to find any specific information on this. I would guess that if your toddler is not getting enough (calories), that he would start showing more interest in solid food. A healthy child will regulate himself that way.

I would just make sure that the solids he does eat are "power packed", such as avocado, nuts, some meat (if you eat meat), cheese, and whole grains.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2e View Post
I was not able to find any specific information on this. I would guess that if your toddler is not getting enough (calories), that he would start showing more interest in solid food. A healthy child will regulate himself that way.

I would just make sure that the solids he does eat are "power packed", such as avocado, nuts, some meat (if you eat meat), cheese, and whole grains.
Great ideas. I try to eat and feed him healthy. I just wish I were better at finding healthy recipes that are also super fast.

You're right about showing more interest. He just ate nearly half a chicken fillet. Now he's washing it down with his favorite food, er drink, er snack: breastmilk

~Nay

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just made a post about snack trays that I make for my daughter (who is very picky). You might want to try that with your child. I take a muffin tin and fill it with super healthy snacks (tofu, avocado, walnuts, almonds, cheese, fruit, veggies, sometimes small pieces of meat, whole grain stuff, pasta, granola, dips, etc). I leave it out for about 30 minutes when I know my daughter is hungry for a snack. She just kind of grazes and is actually more willing to try new foods this way than if I give it to her at a meal. I try to do different things every day (I use a 6 compartment muffin tin), and it has been really great in getting her to eat more food and more nutritious stuff, too.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
All 2 year olds go back to nursing for 90% of their food when a new sibling is born.
I personally couldn't handle it, so I started telling him no. Not because I didn't think nursing was enough, but b/c I had a reflux/food allergy baby and wasn't getting ANY sleep (literally sleeping in 20 minute increments) and was feeling very overwhelmed.

Anyway, the point is, if you're ok w/ him nursing that much, it's fine and healthy for him. He'll probably get sick less.
Most kids start getting sick more around 2 or so b/c they're more social, etc. WHen my 2 yo got sick (I'm still tandeming the 3 and 1 year olds) our ped told me to nurse him on demand as long and my milk supply would catch up w/ the 2 babies. Breastmilk is always complete nutrition, a 2 yo will just have to take in a lot more newborn milk to get it than he would have to if it were still toddler milk, which is concentrated.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
I wonder if the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing answers this. I would also consider calling a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant. Great question!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
I wonder if the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing answers this. I would also consider calling a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant. Great question!

I've been meaning to get that book. I have Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (or something like that). I don't remember it saying much about tandeming but I wasn't even fertile for #2 when I read it.

~Nay

·
Registered
751 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2e View Post
I just made a post about snack trays that I make for my daughter (who is very picky). You might want to try that with your child. I take a muffin tin and fill it with super healthy snacks (tofu, avocado, walnuts, almonds, cheese, fruit, veggies, sometimes small pieces of meat, whole grain stuff, pasta, granola, dips, etc). I leave it out for about 30 minutes when I know my daughter is hungry for a snack. She just kind of grazes and is actually more willing to try new foods this way than if I give it to her at a meal. I try to do different things every day (I use a 6 compartment muffin tin), and it has been really great in getting her to eat more food and more nutritious stuff, too.
I love this idea, but how do you keep them from dumping it all on the floor or feeding the whole thing to the dog? Is 18months too young to do this?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
I love this idea, but how do you keep them from dumping it all on the floor or feeding the whole thing to the dog? Is 18months too young to do this?
I have tried this idea and it worked for my 26 month old son. I'd say it's at least worth a shot.

~Nay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts