Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My midwife just confirmed what I have suspected for several months - baby is breech.  She wasn't too concerned, said there was plenty of time for her to flip still (I'm 30 weeks), but I'm nervous because both of my sons were head down from the 20 week u/s on, and never moved out of that position.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So... any ideas on ways to make the baby "flip"?  If she's still upside down by 36 weeks, the midwife said they would try an external version.  But I'd LOVE it if we could get her to turn sooner, just for peace of mind (and so her little head wasn't poking me in the ribs!).</p>

·
Registered
379 Posts
<p><a href="http://www.spinningbabies.com" target="_blank">www.spinningbabies.com</a> has a lot of information. I wouldn't do a version at 36 weeks, that seems really early to take a measure that can be pretty extreme. External version can actually cause labor to start, not to mention being very painful, so it should usually be saved as a last resort closer to your due date. Between now and then, try the things suggested at Spinning Babies, see a chiropractor who is certified in the Webster technique, do handstands in a swimming pool, and spend a lot of time visualizing your baby turning and talking to your baby, asking her to turn.</p>
<p>Hope this helps!</p>

·
Registered
598 Posts
<p>I have mixed feelings about waiting on the external version. I had one at 38 weeks and it didn't work. I have since read several reports that show that it is not very effective after 36 weeks. My midwife suspected I was breech at 36 weeks, but didn't send me for an ultrasound until 38 weeks. I can't help wonder "what if."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The external version might have started my labor, although when I got to the hospital before the version the nurse hooked me up to a monitor and told me I was contracting every five minutes. This was before the version. My son was born that night.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have also heard the moxibustion (an ancient Chinese therapy administered by an acupuncturist) is as effective as an external version. You need up to ten treatments for it to work, however, and I only had two before my son was born. So I don't think I had enough time for it to work for me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best of luck! If you DO have an external version, I'm happy to talk with you about it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (except for the fact that it didn't work).</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p><br></p>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
<p>Go see a chiropractor that has a lot of experience with prenatal care. I found one and he was able to flip the baby and she stayed flip. He did some work on my hips and I saw the acupunturist as well. Helped a lot during labor.</p>

·
Registered
675 Posts
<p><a href="http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/" target="_blank">http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>A chiropractor skilled in the webster technique is something that wouldnt hurt to do now, and Id find a good accupuncturist if baby hadnt made the move in 4-5 weeks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You have PLENTY of time, Mama!  Try not to stress.. Maybe do a couple inversions every day and visualizations.</p>

·
Registered
176 Posts
<p>acupuncture is supposed to be very effective. in fact, my midwives say that every mom they recommend try acupuncture has had their breech baby turn as a result!</p>

·
Registered
148 Posts
<p>Go see an acupuncturist as soon as you can....I've never known a baby to not turn with acupuncture.  A good one will want to see you a couple of times and will give you a simple set of points to do at home on your own.  Start asking around....word of mouth is the best way to choose someone.</p>

·
Registered
418 Posts
<p>You know, I asked this same question just last weekend (Saturday) after finding out my 30-weeker was breech.  On Sunday, she was vertex, and on Monday she was also vertex.  Through the week, she was mostly vertex.  Today...she's breech.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm feeling ok that she will settle soon and spend the rest of her time vertex.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts