Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kid has been flipping every few days. I had a feeling it was flipping, so I did an u/s on myself at work Saturday, and baby was def vertex. But, at my midwife appt this morning, baby was def breech/transverse-ish.

So, I'm having a version tomorrow.

Part of me is happy baby has so much room to flip every few days, I think that bodes well for a successfull version. But even if the version is successfull tomorrow, the baby could turn again. So, regardless of how it goes tomorrow, anything can still happen.

I don't think I'd try a breech HB.

So I guess I'm in the middle of a big giant game of wait and see. Blah.

JBouk, did you have your version this morning? How'd it go?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

This kid has been flipping every few days. I had a feeling it was flipping, so I did an u/s on myself at work Saturday, and baby was def vertex. But, at my midwife appt this morning, baby was def breech/transverse-ish.

So, I'm having a version tomorrow.

Part of me is happy baby has so much room to flip every few days, I think that bodes well for a successfull version. But even if the version is successfull tomorrow, the baby could turn again. So, regardless of how it goes tomorrow, anything can still happen.

I don't think I'd try a breech HB.

So I guess I'm in the middle of a big giant game of wait and see. Blah.

JBouk, did you have your version this morning? How'd it go?
Next Monday I go to my Dr. to see if my baby is still breech. I cannot tell what position he is in, though if I had to guess I'd say transverse. The left side of my belly bulges out more than the right!

Quick question - when you say the baby flips, do you expressly feel the baby turn? My baby has been moving a lot this week, but I've never experienced what some moms describe as their baby somersaulting...I feel so clueless. I guess my question is - can a breech baby turn slowly and gradually? I am in my 35th week. Is it possible that he might turn without my knowing it?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Copper, I hope your version sticks! After they get the baby in the right position, do all the stuff to make it engage ... walking, sit on an exercise/birth ball with your hips low, sit up straight etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Roxy View Post I guess my question is - can a breech baby turn slowly and gradually? I am in my 35th week. Is it possible that he might turn without my knowing it?
My baby does both -- the slow gradual turns that I hardly notice, and the big expressive ones that HURT!! The big ones wake me from a sound sleep, so I doubt you'd miss those happening, but the little bit by bit turns are more like a small series of gentle kicks, and would be easier to miss, espeically if you're not focused on getting baby to move. I can 90% of the time figure out exactly where this baby is now, but I never got this accurate with DS, I didn't need to, he was always transverse till near the end!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't ever tell *when* the baby is flipping, I just know some days I have a big butt up under my right ribs, and sometimes I have a definite head on the upper left part of my belly, which is exactly where the midwife found the head today. So, no, I can't ever say to myself "the baby just turned!" it's more of a through out the day I either feel a butt in one place, or a head in another. Also, I seem to have much worse HB when the baby is vertex, so that seems to be an indicator.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I can't ever tell *when* the baby is flipping, I just know some days I have a big butt up under my right ribs, and sometimes I have a definite head on the upper left part of my belly, which is exactly where the midwife found the head today. So, no, I can't ever say to myself "the baby just turned!" it's more of a through out the day I either feel a butt in one place, or a head in another. Also, I seem to have much worse HB when the baby is vertex, so that seems to be an indicator.
Thanks for the info...That's interesting about experiencing worse heartburn when baby is vertex...Right now the mid- to lower-part of my belly feels very tight, but still I can't define parts. Oh well...

I wish you all the best on your version tomorrow!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, I got it today. Didn't work though :( the OB got her butt out of my pelvis and got her transverse, but he didn't want to go any further, he said she was done, so I took his word for it. I'm pretty sad about it, I will write a full follow up post tomorrow when I am feeling better. I wanted to jump in here really quick and wish you good luck though! My baby has been stubbornly breech for weeks, so hopefully the fact that your has been flipping on her own means she will go along with the version.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Yeah, I got it today. Didn't work though :( the OB got her butt out of my pelvis and got her transverse, but he didn't want to go any further, he said she was done, so I took his word for it. I'm pretty sad about it, I will write a full follow up post tomorrow when I am feeling better. I wanted to jump in here really quick and wish you good luck though! My baby has been stubbornly breech for weeks, so hopefully the fact that your has been flipping on her own means she will go along with the version.
Did you try Pulsatilla? (it's the homeopathic treatment for encouraging babies to a good position), that was my MW first course of action, and so far, it seems to have worked -- of course with this twisty baby we're not relying on just one thing, so my U/S, then EV consult is still on the schedule though. The Pulsatilla combined with ice on the top of the belly and an inversion (just one so far) seems to be working, just in the past 24 hours.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:

Oh no!!! Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe that nudge was what she needed and gravity will flip her the rest of the way? My hopes are still up for you. Please do keep us posted.
hug2.gif

Good luck, Copper!!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Good luck today, Copper!

I'm sorry the version didn't work Jbouck. Hopefully she will flip the rest of the way on her own.

I have no idea what position this baby is in right now. She was breech at the last u/s but has done some painful acrobatic moves since then. I can never tell what is a butt and what is a head. I've tried some different positions to encourage her to move, as well as ice to the top of the belly. Hopefully something worked, because she had been vertex for more than a month before she surprised us at the u/s. I'll be 36w on Monday. How far along are those of you who are having the versions? The OB said that's what we would try if she didn't move on her own, but we didn't discuss when we would try it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I have no idea what position this baby is in right now. She was breech at the last u/s but has done some painful acrobatic moves since then. I can never tell what is a butt and what is a head. ... How far along are those of you who are having the versions? The OB said that's what we would try if she didn't move on her own, but we didn't discuss when we would try it.
A head bobbles separately from the body (like a bobble head doll), and if you wiggle the bum, the whole body moves ... that was the simplified way my MW explained it to the student a couple appts ago, and since then, I've been better able to figure out which end is which. It's even easier if the baby will cooperate & put a foot out clearly, then I follow the leg to the bum, and the other end is the head!

For the version ... I have to have one during the 387th or 38th week, as that is when my MW have to schedule it according to their practice protocols, and that is also when they have to consult with an OB, theoretically, that allows time for the OB to do a 2nd one followed by an immediate induction if the first one doesn't stick. My MW are likely pushing the limits a bit b/c they know that DS flipped at 38.5 weeks, so I have (very short, one baby) history of a late 'flipper'.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

A head bobbles separately from the body (like a bobble head doll), and if you wiggle the bum, the whole body moves ... that was the simplified way my MW explained it to the student a couple appts ago, and since then, I've been better able to figure out which end is which. It's even easier if the baby will cooperate & put a foot out clearly, then I follow the leg to the bum, and the other end is the head!

For the version ... I have to have one during the 387th or 38th week, as that is when my MW have to schedule it according to their practice protocols, and that is also when they have to consult with an OB, theoretically, that allows time for the OB to do a 2nd one followed by an immediate induction if the first one doesn't stick. My MW are likely pushing the limits a bit b/c they know that DS flipped at 38.5 weeks, so I have (very short, one baby) history of a late 'flipper'.
I'll see if I can figure out the bobble head thing later. I think because I'm overweight that it is harder for me to feel from the outside, too much extra padding between my hands and baby! I'm going to be sure to ask the "when?" question at my appointment tomorrow. I'm nervous because both of my boys were born early due to my blood pressure. If this little one does the same (which the OB says is likely) then I may only have a little over a week or two before she is here! My water broke very, very early in labor with both boys (the water breaking was my sign that this was definitely it, before that I wasn't sure if it was the real thing.) I'm guessing a version wouldn't be possible after the amniotic sack has broken. I really don't want to end up with a c-section because we waited too long and I went into labor before we did it, but I'm not sure if a version followed by an induction would be much better. I need to avoid an epidural, and having had pitocin before (during my 1st labor I had pit and eventually an epi) I highly doubt that I could do so. I'm crossing my fingers that all of this worry will be for nothing and that she is once again vertex and will stay that way!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Thank you for the update. There is still time for your baby to turn!

I still don't know what position my baby is in...So far he has been breech throughout the pregnancy. I will find out Monday. If he's still breech we'll have to decide on a version or not...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we went for the version, and the baby had already gone back to vertex! When I got up to pee in the middle of the night, I could tell he/she was back to being vertex, but I still went in just to be sure.

I'm 37w5d today. This is the FOURTH time the baby has flipped in the last 8 days. So, I'm happy he/she is vertex right now, but I heck, he/she might be breech again tomorrow! Then I start worrying about cord accidents with all this flipping...

Ugh. I just want to go into labor, get the baby out healthy, and be done with this.

A section is not the end of the world, I just want to get this baby out. This pregnancy has been so different, with more (minor) complications than I've ever experienced. It's making me worry what else is around the bend...

So, for now we are still on for a homebirth, and I guess we'll just continue to assess position and go from there.

JBouck, I'm sorry your version didn't work :( I know it can be really dissapointing when your birth plan gets turned upside down (no pun ;) ) , but you can still have a beautiful birth even if it's surgical!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.