Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I knew it. The baby is breech. She seems to be almost kneeling on my cervix (head up and left, butt low on the right, feet tucked up behind the butt). I called my m/w last week, which was a week after I felt her flip, to see if I should be doing anything in particular to help her flip back. They said there was still time and not to worry too much. I went to see her today, and she said it's time to get moving. She gave me the names of two chiropractors and an acupuncturist. I'm supposed to get adjusted, poked, and moxibustion (?!) as soon as I can. She also suggested swimming (even underwater handstands, if I can do them safely). I've got the yoga ball out, and I'm trying to do some inverted positions, but my hips are so sore, it's hard to manage.

So if, after all this, she's still breech in two weeks, we'll talk about external version -- probably scheduled for the week of Christmas. After doing some research, I'm not too thrilled about this option. On the other hand, I don't want to just schedule a c-section and leave it at that. I asked about OBs who will deliver a breech vaginally (the midwives won't), and I guess there are a couple, but there's no guarantee one of them would be on call. Plus, I'm not entirely clear on the risks of breech vaginal birth vs. risks of a c-section.

Anyone else breech right now? Got any tips? What are you planning?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm on week 34 and our girl is still breech too. She keeps dropping and coming back up (pushing on my ribs) almost playfully, 1 day she drops, next day she's on my ribs, or will play that game several times on the same day. I want to schedule an ultrasound to see her exact position and what kind of breech she is. It feels like her head is what is pushing on my ribs, and her feet flutter by my bladder. I'm willing to give it more time and let her play her games. I go to a chiro regularly, but he doesn't turn babies/is not webster technique certified. There is only one chiro who is certified for webster technique in town and I called about a week ago & never heard back. I'll try to go in person tomorrow and see if I can schedule an appointment with her.

I've used my birthing ball throughout the entire pregnancy until the dog killed it last week (she thought it was so much fun to bite that giant ball), and I've swam up until about 3 weeks ago. I do yoga poses. It just seems hopeless - if she wants to turn she'll turn, and if not she wont.

We're still sitting & waiting - and hoping. If things don't change by week 37, I may try an external version as a last resort. Like you, I wonder about breech delivery vs c-section.

ETA: Here are some breech deliveries to keep us on the optimistic side.

http://www.birthingway.com/footling_breech.htm
http://www.breechbabies.com/new_years_breech.htm
http://www.breechbabies.com/olga.htm
http://www.breechbabies.com/breechbirth1.htm

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My DD didn't flip until 37+ weeks. I guess I didn't know that they 'have' to flip so early.... I wouldn't stress it- there is still tons of time to flip. I will warn you though- it hurts like mad that late in the game. BTW- DD did it all on her own- I didn't have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Not breech, but the twins were in a double transverse presentation, and I tried EVERYTHING you can think of for 10 weeks to turn them. I did end in a c/s, but that was more indicative of the twin situation than anything else. They will not do external versions on multiples unless you are mid delivery and B needs to be turned. What I felt was working to help move twin B was useless for twin A, but the doc couldn't even rotate him to vertex during the section because he was wedged in under my hip bone funny. All my efforts had wedged him further in, and then baby B was too much on top of him to allow to back out of his corner.
Baby B turned vertex the literal moment baby A was moved out of his way. it was rather startling for me and the doc, but it proved there was a reason why he was still transverse.

So what got movement out of baby B? Chiro definitely helped. I found a chiro that did webster technique, and it was wonderful. it really eased the BH contractions, and made more room for the babies. I went 2X a week for that. I also had acupuncture and moxibustion (a traditional Chinese medicine technique) done by my regular chiropractor. She also showed my DH how to do the moxi treatments at home. We did them 2X a day for a month. I also had Reiki done repeatedly. I always had lots of good movement during and after a Reiki session. None of the other methods did much for me, and I found the spinning babies website to be irritating, and extremely unhelpful. I got much better answers here at MDC.

Good luck getting the babe to turn. If it makes you feel better, and it is safe, try it. Be gentle with yourself and try to remember that there are reasons for what baby does. If baby doesn't turn, baby doesn't turn. There is no reason why you should have to schedule an elective c/s for position. Especially not this far in advance. Some babies turn in labor. Is there a reason why your MW would not want you to go into labor naturally, regardless of baby's position?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had the external version last pregnancy and it went VERY well. One of the best decisions of my life, as it allowed me to have a vaginal delivery. They did the version at 37.5 weeks and he stayed head down until I went into labor (spontaneously) at 41 weeks.

This new guy is positioned "oddly" according to the m/w, but technically his head is down (just that nothing else is where they would expect...whatever that means).

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
If your MW gave you the name of a chiropractor who is experienced with turning a breec baby, I'd definitely be calling. Plus, it just feels good, even if it doesn't work! But I'm biased - DH is a chiro doc.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
for you mommas

and you babies! turn turn! go on now! you know you wanna see the world before you feel it with your feet!

I didn't see this linked, but in case you haven't seen it:
http://spinningbabies.com/

Also, someone somewhere on these boards mentioned that a cold pack on top of the belly (ugh, i'm not a 100% on this, could it be a hot pack?) helps a baby turn if they're breech. Seemed like a well known technique but i never got a chance to research it, apparently my babies can't wait to punch my bladder.

Oh here's a link on moxa, in case you didn't know what it was.
(Google knows more, of course

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Swimming and hands and knees in bed (with my butt in the air) flipped DD. This baby flipped breech a couple days ago and then crawled back (it was painful, lots of pokey hands, feet, knees and elbows!) that same day after I gave him/her a talking to, lol. I also went into the bed and stuck my butt in the air, lol, but baby turned when I was sitting in the chair.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have an appt today and we'll see if this little one has turned...at my last appt she was breech. I've felt lots of moving around, but the kicks & pokes are still pretty much in the same places, so I don't think she has. I'll be 35 weeks on Thursday.

I haven't done any major researching on external version or breech delivery...I've read a few things that just scared me, so I quit! Here's hoping these little ones turn on their own.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i did get my baby to flip by doing the knees on the couch, hands on the floor thing, then crawled around for a few minutes chasing my 20 month old.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My baby is breech, but I'm having a c-section so it really doesn't matter
. My last 2 were transverse. The first had to be turned twice during labor. With my second DC my water broke at 37 + 6 weeks, the day I was scheduled for the version, which resulted in a c-section. My advice to you would be to start trying to turn the baby as soon as possible.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've read about the cold pack/warm bath technique, but luckily this babe has turned head down.

Basically, you want to have the bottom half of your uterus in a warm (not too hot) bath, and put a cold pack where you think the baby's head is (but not for too long - you don't want to freeze him/her!). This is supposed to encourage turning, becuase the baby would prefer to have a warm head than a cold head.

Again - I've never done this, but I've read about it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
She recommends doing handstands in the pool. I think it would be once a day, for as many times as you like, until the baby turns. Baby can also be turned externally (although you probably know that!). Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
well, good news for me, baby is now head down. She was breech at around 31 weeks, but now at almost 35 she is right where she should be. Hopefully this will be the case for the rest of the Jan 09 moms!

·
Registered
714 Posts
My baby is still breech - I had my first chiropractic adjustment today using the Webster technique. She adjusted my sacrum and worked on some trigger points in my abdomen and uterus - she said she could feel me responding quickly, which is a good sign because it indicates there's a good chance the adjustments will help the baby turn. She said she gets worried when she doesn't feel things that need adjustment, because then it's more likely the baby is breech due to a cord issue or something like that.

The baby hasn't flipped yet, and I have another appointment for next Tuesday. In the meantime I'll keep doing knee-chest position, hot/cold treatment, and generally trying to make the top of my uterus an annoying place for a head to be.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This little guy is transverse and has been for months. He's showing no signs of moving, even with the spinningbabies advice, etc. I'm not sure he even has the room to move now. We'll see what happens, but I've scheduled my c-section and if he moves on his own, or I go into labor before then and he's moved, we'll see how it looks. I went into my first labor with a malpositioned baby and that is not an experience I'm willing to repeat.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuppence View Post
This little guy is transverse and has been for months. He's showing no signs of moving, even with the spinningbabies advice, etc. I'm not sure he even has the room to move now. We'll see what happens, but I've scheduled my c-section and if he moves on his own, or I go into labor before then and he's moved, we'll see how it looks. I went into my first labor with a malpositioned baby and that is not an experience I'm willing to repeat.
oooh! Sorry to hear he is transverse. Are you having a lot of contractions at this point? When my 2 went transverse, it was never ending.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
oooh! Sorry to hear he is transverse. Are you having a lot of contractions at this point? When my 2 went transverse, it was never ending.

OMG! So it's not just me?! I've been trying to research transverse babies and contractions/pain, but haven't found much. I swear, it feels like I have contractions constantly! And they're not doing anything actual labor-wise, but they never end and they're so uncomfortable! Between his elbow right at the bottom of my breast bone and the contractions, I'm so ready to get him out of there. Thanks for the hug!--I needed one.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuppence View Post
OMG! So it's not just me?! I've been trying to research transverse babies and contractions/pain, but haven't found much. I swear, it feels like I have contractions constantly! And they're not doing anything actual labor-wise, but they never end and they're so uncomfortable! Between his elbow right at the bottom of my breast bone and the contractions, I'm so ready to get him out of there. Thanks for the hug!--I needed one.

No, it isn't you. The baby is actually pressing sideways AGAINST your round ligaments. You don't get the downward pressure/ bottom of the belly heaviness that vertex babies give, but the strain of always having somebody pressing sideways irritates the (long?) muscles of the uterus and the round ligaments. (Can you tell I am searching my pregnant brain to remember what the chiropractor told me years ago?) This is what causes the never ending BH like contractions. I had them for more than 12 weeks with the twins, and the bigger I got, the more intense they were. My belly would literally get as hard as a table. Webster technique at the Chiropractor helped to loosen things us, and make more room. If you can find a practitioner, I would give that a try. Even if you can't get the baby to turn 90 degrees, you should still get some relief.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm having weekly ultrasounds for my GD, and I found out the little bum has flipped to breech again - footling breech!
: Luckily I had acupuncture right after, so I've started on the points for flipping him back, but he better go back to vertex asap! I don't want a c-section.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.