Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, baby has been head down for weeks. Baby was engaged and I was 75% effaced and 1cm dilated last Friday. I went in for my exam today and my OB couldn't even feel my cervix so she grabbed the ultrasound to see what was going on and baby has flipped to breech! Ugh!
:

So, I immediately got on the phone and scheduled an acupuncture appointment (just got back, by the way). I plan on doing inversion and some cat/cow poses. Any other suggestions? (I've been on spinningbabies) My OB said she'd let me go until 41 weeks before scheduling a c-section, so I have about 4 weeks to get this baby to turn. HELP!!! (by the way, my OB was so sad too. She is alright with a breech delivery but says her hands are tied d/t hospital/state policies so it has to be c/s. She has delivered a bunch of breech babies)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LorenaAZ View Post
if the pelvic tilts and acupuntcure don't flip the baby, could she do an external version?
Unfortunatly I'm not a candidate for external version. I have an arcuate uterus (heart shaped) and a repaired vaginal septum and versions are contraindicated. So, I am going to have to convince baby to turn on it's own!

·
Registered
714 Posts
1. Go to a Webster certified chiropractor. My baby was breech for weeks - I went to the chiro for my first Webster adjustment at... I think 35w3d. The baby got super active after the adjustment - at 35w5d s/he flipped transverse midday and then flipped head-down as I was doing an inversion that evening. I'm a believer!

2. Nobody can force you into a c-section. None of the doctors around here are experienced with or even sympathetic to the idea of a vaginal breech birth, so I was planning to go ahead with a homebirth if the baby didn't turn. In your case, with a sympathetic OB, I would very strongly consider laboring at home as long as possible, showing up close to pushing, and refusing a c-section. Your doctor knows how to catch a breech and would like to - that's something! She may have even been suggesting her hands are tied, but if you were to show up ready to push... KWIM?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Not in your DDC, but I just read on another site that there's a homeopathic remedy called Pulsatilla that's used with success at turning breech babies. I saw your post at the top of the IP forum and thought I'd mention it. It can't hurt.

And I second the suggestion on a Webster chiro, for sure!

Good luck to you, mama!

·
Registered
721 Posts
DH and I just went through this.
Ok....here are a few things you can do: see a webster technique trained chiropractor http://www.icpa4kids.org/locator/index.php , acupuncture, moxibustion, pelvic tilts, inversions, crawling, hand stands (in water, or with help), swimming, pulsatilla, yoga, birthing ball, flat board, cold on baby's head, flashlight & pleasant music between your legs in a dark room (yes, we were desperate).

make sure the acupuncturist knows what he/she's doing because there are points that can bring about labor. I would do all of those things asap. I tried them all and nothing worked for me, but they work for other women. We ended up with a very easy & successful version on wednesday.

Good luck with your baby! I'm sending you good positive vertex thoughts!!
I know what you're going through!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I just got back from a chiropractic appointment for the same thing. It was very gentle and very simple. The way it was explained to me is that when a baby is breech, it's often because he or she can't get into the position that's ideal because of some torque in the uterus. The chiro releases the points that are causing the torque (tight ligaments and tendons in the lower back for me) and then palpates with a bit of pressure on certain points on the belly. The baby began moving instantly for my chiro, though she said it sometimes takes 2-3 visits to really get back to stay head-down.

Best of luck, mama!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
you could always just show up at the hospital nearly complete and they wouldn't have time to do a c/s...

My 2nd flipped at 36 weeks and I was able to get her turned after a week by doing knee/chest positions.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the recommendations and kind words of support everyone! I really do appreciate it!
: I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurelg View Post
1. Go to a Webster certified chiropractor.
exactly. my chiro flipped my little one at about 35 weeks. i went for three appointments in five days, and i'm not sure when she flipped, but it worked.

good luck. i'm so sorry you have this added stress. flip, little one, flip!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
you could always just show up at the hospital nearly complete and they wouldn't have time to do a c/s...

Maybe, a friend of mine arrived at the birth center complete, and the MW found her to be complete, but the baby turned footling. She had an emergency transfer and had to have a Classic T c section because by the time she got there the cervix was closing around the baby, nice...... If it weren't someone I knew, I would think there were more to it, but it seems the MW didn't want to get in trouble, since I there are rules about breech delivery here. although other MWs that have recently reviewed her records (to evaluate VBAC possibilities) said they would have just delivered since the baby was clearly on its way out.

Not trying to be negative, but it could be something to talk to the Dr about, how they manage a situation like that!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
Maybe look into Moxibustion. From everything I've read, if done correctly has a pretty good success rate! I recommend having a professional do it.
I actually had acupuncture and moxibustion started yesterday. I'm really hoping it does the trick!!!

I'm going to call a few webster chiros on monday also. I'm willing to try anything!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.