Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing the Brewer diet?
I did with my 1st and 2nd and had really great pregnancies. NO issues at all, and very easy births (relatively).
I didn't with my 3rd because we work at a camp and I just ate the camp food (which at the time was not at all good quality, now it's quite a bit better). During that pregnancy I had really really bad anemia and felt rotten... then had reoccurring bouts of mastitis postpartum. I thought I was just over doing it.
And with my 4th (she's 20 months old now)... I did Brewers... sort of. Again I was eating mostly camp food (which is not super great meat/protein), and trying to supplement at home with high protein snacks and an extra egg a day. I know I probably didn't get even close to 80 grams of protein. My pregnancy was slightly better with her, but I was still anemic and had higher (not terribly high, but high for me) BP.

I'm kind of considering trying it again, just to see if it helps me.

I know there are mixed feelings on Brewers and if it's "too much" and unbalanced or if it creates big babies and such. I tend to have 8+ lb babies... and am off sugar totally to help this baby not put on any unneeded chub. I did that last time too, but had my biggest baby at 8 lbs, 12 oz.

Just wondering if there are older mamas out there who've had success with Brewers or even other things that made the difference in staying healthy and well?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I followed it with baby 5 and had a great home birth and a healthy 9lb8oz baby. With baby 6 I didn't count protein but did focus on getting a good bit each day. I would like to follow again but struggle with getting enough protein bc 1. Meat is hard for me to digest (I have low stomach acid) and 2. Dairy is constipating to me so combined it's really difficult. I'm not sure how much of what I eat I absorb anyway bc I have difficulty digesting in general and have no gallbladder sadly. But I am doing zero refined sugar with this baby. Only raw honey or grade b maple syrup. That alone is huge and I am proud to be doing so :) keep me updated with how your diet goes!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was trying to remember what the name of this diet was! We learned a bit about it in my Bradley method classes with my daughter. I didn't follow it exactly with her, but did focus on protein once I was past the nausea stage. I had GD so I had to control my diet anyway. I think I will again try to get a lot of protein this time and avoid sugar. My daughter was born at 38+6 at 7.5 lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts