Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you can figure out, I am pretty liberal. My dh is very conservative and the local president of the Republican Club. This is the first election season we have owned a home and dh wants to hang lawn signs promoting various Republicans and Republican issues.

Last night he brought home a "God Bless America - Support Our Troops" and I blew a complete gasket. He feels that he is being suppressed, he is allowed his personal political expression, and doesn't he pay for the house? And what kind of example is he setting by not visibly supporting "his" candidates?

I think that sign is offensive, as if God will only bless the USA and Suppor the Troops signifies that the War in Iraq is just and I just think its not.

How can I be more supportive of dh w/o feeling like I have to bottle up all my own personal opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Ouch! That's a tough one!

Do you approve of signes at all? We don't beleive in making our home a political hot spot for many reasons. So, this issue dosn't come up.

Can you explain to him that though he 'technically' pays the bill, you live there raising his children. You're involved in the comminity and the school and that you don't feel a statement like that is appropriate for the home. Maybe suggest he hang one on his car? or have it tattoo'd to his forehead (just kidding).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thankfully my dh is no longer a Republican...but if he was, there is no way I would let him put up a sign I disagree with. No matter who pays the bill, in marriage it's 50/50. You should both be able to do it or neither.

He has no more right than you toexpress himslef and you shouldn't be the only one who bottles up opinions ...of course, unless you don't believe in equality in marriage.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Quote:
... by UmmNuh
Get some signs.

Just what I was thinking.

Why can't he put his sign on the right side of the lawn, and you put yours on the left?

Or how's this for a mixed message ... his on the left and yours on the right?

Just make sure yours are bigger ... :LOL

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
He should be allowed to express to hisself just as you are/should even if you disagree. Afterall every disagreement doesn't have to be an argumant and you don't want this to be one. He supports his, you support your. I like the half in half lawn idea.

BTW, on a side note and completly off topic.(adnn I'm sure I'll hear it for this one...) there is a differance between supporting the war and supporting the troops. Perhaps he feels that way.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I agree with get some signs.

My dh did the "God Bless America" one (luckily I have a patch of earth well off of our property but still in front view from the street - it went there). It's down now. How tempting it was to "make it disappear"

My van (which drives all over town, daily) is loaded with an 8x10 peace sign, a save america's farms, a support organic farming, and, most recently, a DK for president.

So I make my statement also.

If not your own sign, you should at least be able to change "Support Our Troops" to "Bring Home Our Troops"..............

El

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I like that.

I'm all for changing the sign to "Bring Home our Troops" instead of "God bless America". (which I do understand why you dislike it EL cause I don't like it either or rather what it implies).

Maybe your DH would like that(depending on how you feel about it).
I'd like to have a decall made saying that!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
ITA with the others, so long as you are not being told that you cannot put up signs of your own then it is all fair. Although, I also agree with the person who said if you both can't agree it shouldn't go up.

If my husband had views that different from mine, lawn signs would be the least of our problems

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I personally do not put any political signs in my yard, because I am here alone with the kids in a semi-urban area, with alot of diverse opinions. I am afraid that someone may react with vandalism or even violence to my free speech, and that it may be during a time when dh is not home to deal with it.

Can you raise this argument for a "no political sign" policy? If he is a "law and order type" he may see the connection. Or would he just get you a gun?

I am a brat, a sign like that in my yard would probably get "stolen." Or I would add a "bring them home now" sign underneath it, sort of modifying the intended statement.

DeAnna

1 - 12 of 12 Posts